Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches are grilled and dripping with runny egg and loaded with bacon, avocado, spinach and whatever else you’d like to add!
You might be familiar with Toad in the Hole, Egg in the Hole or Egg in the Basket among several other names it goes by. A piece of toast, with a hole cut into it and an egg fried in the middle. Yum! But how about turning that concept into a sandwich? A Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwich. Yes please!
This week for Sunday Supper we are celebrating the egg. An egg added to almost any dish, just makes it more special and adds some unique flavor. I love an egg served on top of my burgers, rice dishes, meat and more! We love eggs at our house and these Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches are a true favorite. You can add what you want, change out what you don’t want. Add a sausage patty, delete the bacon (what!?!?). Add some spice or tobasco sauce instead of the mayonnaise. Don’t want spinach? Try Kale or lettuce and tomato. Anything goes here!
Appetizers & Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
Main Dishes (Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Brinner and Dinner!)
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Ready to make your own Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches?
Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 slices of bacon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 slices of cheese
- avocado slices
Cut holes in both slices of bread. We used a circle cookie cutter but you could cut around a lid too.
In a pan on the stove, fry 2-3 slices of bacon. Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and set aside.
Reserve bacon grease and add both slices of bread to the same pan.
Crack an egg in each hole.
Season with salt and pepper.
Flip after about 2 minutes.
Once flipped, add a piece of cheese to one or both slices of bread.
Top with bacon.
Remove from heat once cheese is melted.
Top with spinach, avocado or whatever else you'd like to add.
Spread mayo. Close sandwich, cut and serve! YUM!