Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts
Sweet, deliciously spiced, PSL Donuts. Yep, think Pumpkin Spice Latte in a baked donut and you’re on the right track! These Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts are a true favorite!
I am so glad that Fall is here. When I think of Fall, it means pumpkin in my head. It means, it’s finally okay to cook and bake with pumpkin and people won’t think I’m weird. It’s the time I can admit to using pumpkin because it’s the right season. The rest of the time, I just keep quiet about it.
Yeah, I’m that girl. And I’m not ashamed.
So last year, during pumpkin season, I began the grueling task of trying to duplicate the popular Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte at home.
It wasn’t too hard, because there were dozens of different recipes out there already, so I had a base to work with and then just kept changing it until I made it my own. Probably isn’t exactly like Starbucks, but I didn’t care because I loved my version.
Towards the end of the season, I started trying to put together a donut that had the same flavors as the Pumpkin Spice Latte.
I made donut batch after donut batch, adding and subtracting ingredients (with milk, without milk, with loads of strong coffee, with hardly any coffee, with cream, with less spice, with more spice, using a coffee simple syrup, then using a pumpkin spice simple syrup, using both, etc. etc. etc. until I could get as close to the Pumpkin Spice Latte flavor I loved and wanted in this donut.
Finally, in August of this year, I created a donut that to me, was the closest I could get to what I wanted.
Which was? A moist, spicy, pumpkin flavored donut that tasted like a pumpkin spice latte, but also looked appealing too. (the more coffee I used, the more brown the donut became and looked less appealing but still tasted amazing)
Did I do it? I think I did. In fact, we love these so much we’ve already made this version about 5 times this year.
I couldn’t wait to share them, but when I saw our theme this week was Fall Foods, I knew I could wait at least until then. So here we are today, with my delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte donuts that I’m proud of.
I wish I could share a bite with you.
Better yet, just make them yourselves. You’ll love them. You’re welcome!
Looking for fall food recipes? Check out these amazing recipes!
Amazing Breakfasts, Brunches, and Breads
- Skinny Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Donuts with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze from The Messy Baker
- Apple Spice Waffles from Treats and Trinkets
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts from Daily Dish Recipes
- Mini Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cinnamon Apple Crepes from Juanita’s Cocina
- Pumpkin Ale Pretzel Buns from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Outstanding Soups, Starters and Sides:
- Bacon, Corn and Shrimp Chowder from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Pumpkin Tomato Sauce with Andouille Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Farro Date Salad with Mango and Arugula from Shockingly Delicious
- Butternut Squash Tian with Herb Topping from Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup from Alida’s Kitchen
Comforting Main Dishes:
- Vegan Mushroom Pie from Killer Bunnies Inc
- White Pizza with Kale and Meatballs from The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Spicy Korean Monkfish Stew (Agu Jjim) from kimchi MOM
- Bacon Spinach Pasta from Magnolia Days
- Pumpkin Marshmallows from Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Fig and Pomegranate Crisp from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Camotes Enmielados (Mexican Candied Yams/Sweet Potatoes) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Maple Syrup Pumpkin Bars from What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apples from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from In The Kitchen With KP
- Hot Apple Pizza from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Best Pumpkin Recipes
- No Churn Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Moist Pumpkin Bread Recipe – Oven Baked
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Pie Roll Ups
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts
Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts (PSL Donuts)
Pumpkin Spice Latte Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules
- 1 ½ tablespoons of water
- 2 cups of white sugar
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract I used Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups canned pumpkin 16 oz. can
- 4 eggs
For Spiced Sugar Coating:
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour your donut pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Sift well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and coffee granules, until dissolved.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the sugar and the oil. Add the dissolved coffee and the vanilla. Blend well. Then add the pumpkin. Blend until combined.
- Beat the eggs in one egg at a time, combining well between each one.
- Once all the eggs are added, gradually beat in the flour mixture, a little a time.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. You can test with a toothpick for doneness. Allow to sit for about 2 minutes, before removing to wire rack to cool.
To prepare Spiced Sugar Coating:
- In a small bowl, melt the butter if you haven’t already.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
- While the donuts are still warm, but not hot, dip each donut into the melted butter and then coat with the spiced sugar coating.
- Allow to dry on the baking rack.
Whew, what a grueling set of testing you had to do. Thank goodness you had the stamina! 🙂
These look fabulous!
They totally look worth all of the hard work. Absolutely yummy!
In the words of Homer Simpson mmmm…. donuts. I love pumpkin and these look great. I have everything I need to make them which may not be a good thing.
I wish you could share a bite with me too…
Um, these look amazing. I must make, soon!
Now that is some recipe testing Nicole. At least you had fun in the process and I’m sure your family enjoyed all the batches. Great donuts for fall too.
Look at the insides of those babies! WOW….I wish I had one with my cup of coffee right now Momma! Thanks for sharing!
I bet these smell amazing! I’m sure the entire batch disappears quickly!
I think you did a bang up job. These donuts look amazing. I’ll trade ya–donut for donut?
These look amazing! I wish I had one with my coffee right about now!
Yum! This sounds like a battle tested recipe! I can’t wait to try it!
I’m so glad you shared this recipe Nicole, they look stunning! I love baking with pumpkin year round too.
I have friends that go absolutely mad for that latte. They would love these doughnuts!
Yes, please! I love donuts…I love pumpkin…I love spice…I love lattes… so, yeah, there’s no doubt in my mind that I’d love these ;).
Who can resist a pumpkin spice latte DOUGHNUT!? What a wonderful idea. Breakfast on the go and everything a person can need from the two main breakfast food categories: coffee and carbs!
Yummy! Love these for fall ..they look beautiful!
Can you please save one for me?! I will be there as soon as I can! These look amazing, definitely on the must make list!
These super moist donuts have my mouth watering! I want them right now! I bake with pumpkin year around – there are no rules telling me which foods to love 🙂
Oh, helloooooo! I love that sugar coating! Time for me to buy a donut pan!
Love them! They look fantastic.
Your donuts look DELISH, Nicole!
These donuts are perfection!
Oh my goodness, Nicole. I so want to make these scrumptious looking donuts. Baking pans for making these favorite treats is one of the best inventions ever =)
I wish you could share a bite, too!!! You NAILED this one!!!!
I am obsessed with pumpkin spice lattes! Thank you for perfecting these donuts so now I can have double the pumpkin spice latte for breakfast.
Mmm! Gonna have to try a vegan version of this for my RMT, he loves pumpkin spice ANYTHING
Sarah- what did you replace the eggs with? I didn’t want any banana flavor in here.
I just love your recipe! I love that you added coffee granules to it! Your donuts look amazing!
What a great looking recipe! I wish I had one now! Thanks for sharing!
I’m not usually a big fan of donuts, its the one baked good I can easily say no to. BUT you may have just changed my mind entirely. I love love love the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, so this is seriously screaming my name
I was always wondering about the pumpkin on the grocery store shelf throughout the year; now I know 🙂
This donut recipe sounds amazing, and they certainly look just stunning!!!
Oh geez. One more reason I NEED to get a donut pan. These have risen to first to make on my donut list!
Wish I had had a few of these this morning!
I’m so embarrassed to admit this – I’ve never had a PSL! I really need to get thee to a Starbucks this fall so I can experience this. But I think I would actually rather have some of these donuts! Can you FedEx me some? 😉
I worked in a donut shop for 5 years, these would have flown off the shelves!
I am a huge baked donut fan. These are going on my list as I have a TON of pumpkin to use and they look delicious!
Nicole, you hit it out of the park with this one, girl! These donuts look incredible. I love that you were on a mission to recreate the PSL and then put it into a donut. It was an excellent use of your time and now we all benefit because you’re sharing this glorious recipe with us! Gorgeous photos! And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using pumpkin year round. I’m not ashamed to admit that I do.
ooh these look delactable and baked too ! Love all the spices in it. My favorite flavor too. Making this soon Nicole! Thanks for sharing!
I could use a few of these alongside my coffee this morning!
I could go for one of those right now! I guess I’ll have to settle for some TJs pumpkin spice coffee instead! I really need to get myself one of those nifty donut pans…
Here I am looking for a good zucchini recipe and I’m completely distracted by your amazing pumpkin spice latte donuts. Now I’m going to have to make some. 🙂
It’s just not fall without pumpkin spice lattes!
I wish I had these bad boys with my coffee right now! They look delicious and I love the combo of flavors!