Love a good Chai Latte? How about a delicious baked version? This moist, soft crumb Chai Latte Yogurt Tea Cake is the perfect answer.
I love tea cakes. So moist, so soft and perfect with tea… or in my case… coffee. I love a good basic recipe, and then I love to give it some flavor or change it up a bit. I did that with this one.
It’s Secret Recipe Club time yet… again. Yes, so soon. We’ve had an orphan in group A and I’m back again with another quick recipe. This time I am creating from An Italian in the Midwest. I love Pola’s blog, we met on Triberr and she has such great recipes on her blog. She also just got her PhD…so really she’s Dr. Pola 😉 Congratulations Dr!
Since this was supposed to be a quick recipe, I wasn’t anticipating any changes being made. And I only made a few minor tweaks. I was determined to make whatever recipe I chose from her blog, with what I had on hand.
I was out of the milk called for in the original recipe, so I substituted with some homemade chai tea latte I had whipped up last night. (pretty much just chai tea mixed with coconut milk). I also took her advice and went for vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
I did not have regular yogurt on hand, which I imagined is what the recipe wanted, but I always have greek yogurt on hand, so I substituted that instead.
This was wonderful with a cup of coffee.
Recipe for Chai Latte Yogurt Cake
Chai Latte Yogurt Tea Cake
- 1 cups greek yogurt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cups chai latte or milk
- 1 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- powdered sugar if desired
- Using a mixer, blend together the flour, sugar, baking powder, yogurt, chai latte (or milk), vegetable oil and salt.
- While mixing, add the eggs, one by one and blend until incorporated.
- I greased a loaf pan (but for the future I will make this in a smaller cake pan because it took a lot longer to cook the center) and baked at 390 degrees for 1 hour. With a smaller cake pan, I would think about 45 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.