Baby rolls coated in delicious rum glaze, these Rum Rolls are the perfect addition to your brunch menu or on the table for breakfast!
My favorite breakfast – Rum Rolls and coffee!
It’s been a few weeks since I was able to participate in a Sunday Supper event, and I am thrilled to be back for such a special one. I chose Rum Rolls in honor of my mom, the reason for which I will talk about more in a second.
As a mom myself, I appreciate the job my mother has done raising me, and honestly even as a 40 years old adult, I can say she isn’t done yet. haha Guess I still have a long time to go raising my own five teenagers. Yes?
I chose Rum Rolls for today’s Sunday Supper event because there is no other recipe, no other food item that makes me think of my mother more than Rum Rolls. As a child, I can remember her bringing them home from our favorite bakery. They were such a special treat.
Sometimes she would buy extras and freeze them. I can tell you right now, as a small child, there was more than once I opened up a frozen package and attempted to eat a frozen Rum Roll. Yes, I did that, mom. Probably not a huge surprise.
I’m pretty sure at times I confiscated a whole package of them from the bakery and called them my own. I can honestly say, Rum Rolls might have been my favorite food as a child. Truly.
Still, all these years later, that bakery is still standing and still serving delicious Rum Rolls. Sadly, the recipe has changed over time and while they are still delicious, they are not as perfect as they were when I was small.
Because the bakery is nowhere near my house, to get my fix of Rum Rolls on occasion, I needed to find a recipe. While these are not exact to the bakery we bought them from, they are close enough and every time I make them, I think of my mom.
I don’t know if that will ever stop.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom’s out there. You are all amazing and have a tough job no matter if you have one child or you have five teenagers (or more!). Also you pet mommy’s, you count too. They are like our children as well, as anyone who has a pet will attest to.
So to everyone, Happy Mother’s Day! (most importantly to my mom… I love you. Thanks for always supporting me even when you don’t always agree. Also thanks for making me see things in a different light sometimes. I love you!)
So, how do you make Rum Rolls?
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Nicole Cook is the owner/editor of Daily Dish Recipes, a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on food/cooking/cocktails and much more.
She calls the Midwest home – Missouri to be exact. Coffee is her go-to drink, music is her vice and she is endlessly tethered with devices to her online world. She loves all things planner, lives for her great big family and loves her pets endlessly!
Her motto in life: Live Simply, Dream Big, Be Grateful, Give Love, Laugh Lots. Always, always laugh lots.