These Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwiches are the perfect lunch or fast weeknight dinner.
Air frying chicken is an easy way to get lunch or dinner on the table.
Using the air fryer keeps the chicken nice and juicy on the inside, and keeps the breading crisp on the outside.
Hi guys! It’s been a long time since you’ve seen a post from me.
This is the first post I’ve done for my mom in 2020.
I’ve been crazy busy with my boyfriend and of course, Carsyn.
Carsyn is four now!
It’s so hard to believe my little man is growing up.
And he’s got a huge appetite most of the time.
He loves Nana’s cooking, but he also loves the things I make him too!
He’s a lot like me when I was little.
He loves fruits and veggies and eats them a lot.
He actually likes most things once he’s tried them.
Getting him to try them isn’t always easy, but he seems to really like a lot of things.
He likes Sushi. Like a lot. So…
In October my mom had him try frog legs and he loved those too.
According to my mom who seems to keep a record haha his favorite foods are Sushi, cheeseburgers, tomatoes, pancakes and pineapple soda.
But he really does eat all kinds of things.
The night we made these Chicken Sandwiches, I wasn’t completely sure if they would be too spicy for him.
I love spicy food so I usually make it very spicy.
But with these I knew if I left out the mayo on his, he’d be fine.
He did decide to eat his with only plain mayo.
The spice in the chicken is mild, but can be modified to either be left out if you don’t want any spice in the chicken.
Or simply by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper you put in the outside seasoning.
These make a great fast and easy lunch or the perfect weeknight dinner on those nights you need to whip up something fast.
And they are so good.
They are so good that we made them like 5 times in two weeks.
Yeah. That good.
You can pile on the veggies which does help cut down on the spice or simply leave them off.
You can add cheese… or not.
For more spice, these are amazing with Pepper Jack Cheese.
But any cheese is perfectly fine except your milder cheeses because you probably won’t taste them. ha!
More Fantastic Sandwich Recipes
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Grilled Pizza Sandwiches
- Crockpot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Parmesan Chicken Sandwiches
Notes for Making Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwiches
You can have these on the table in under 20 minutes!
A few notes to remember:
- Don’t crowd the chicken in the air fryer. Allow the air to circulate.
- At the halfway mark flip them over.
- Always test chicken with a thermometer to make sure the thickest part is cooked to 165 degrees F.
- Remember that all air fryers are created differently and will cook differently, so check your chicken often and adjust cooking times accordingly.
- This chicken can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to use it. Microwave for approximately 1-2 minutes to get it ready for your sandwich or simply serve cold.
Recipe for Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwiches
Printable recipe below.
Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwiches
For the Chicken Breasts:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
For the Spicy Mayo:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ Tablespoons hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper add more depending on desired spiciness of chicken
- Heat air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Brush each chicken breast with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs and seasonings for the chicken breasts.
- Coat each chicken breasts in the breading evenly. Shake any excess off.
- Place chicken in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer.
- Keep them spaced and not touching, which means doing them in batches most of the time.
- Fry them for 3 minutes; flip them checking for any dry spots. Spray extra olive oil if needed. Return to basket for 3 more minutes at 390 degrees F. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT ALL AIR FRYERS ARE DIFFERENT. Use a digital thermometer to check that chicken is cooked to 165 degrees F in the thickest part.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, hot sauce and cayenne pepper.
- Place a fried chicken breast on each bun, spread your spicy mayo on your bun and add lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles as desired.
- We used Italian Bread Crumbs for added flavor but you could also add a pinch of Italian Seasoning to your mixture.
- We used Avocado Mayonnaise because that’s what we love. It gives it extra flavor.