Yes, they are a little messy, but we assure you, the flavor will make up for it. These are a basic souped up version of Velveeta cheese dip spooned onto little sliders and made into the most delicious knife & fork worthy Velveeta Cheeseburger Sliders.
If you love Velveeta as much as we do, you should also try our incredibly popular Old School Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese. It’s the most creamy, smooth and velvety macaroni and cheese you’ve ever had.
But let’s talk about these delicious Velveeta Cheeseburger Sliders.
Yes, I know, they are messy. But they are OH so very good!
Why You’ll Love These Velveeta Cheeseburger Sliders
These are fantastic for a quick and easy after school snack or a busy weeknight when you’re not sure what to do for dinner.
Pair them with a salad on the side and even a cup of fruit for a balanced meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
The ingredients are simple and basic and can be found at almost any American grocery store.
- Velveeta – there really is no substitution unless you use a store brand instead.
- diced tomatoes & green chilies like RO*TEL but there are other brands. Choose the heat level you enjoy – mild, original or hot.
- ground breakfast sausage – easy substitutions for this are ground beef, chorizo or even ground turkey. You might wish to add some flavor to the meat as you brown it, because sausage already has a flavor.
- sour cream – if you need to substitute this, sub for a coupe of tablespoons of milk. It basically just makes the dip a little creamier.
- slider buns – if you cannot get slider buns where you are, you can totally use hamburger buns, you’ll just get less of them because they will be much larger.
- butter – no it does not matter if you use salted butter or unsalted butter but you don’t want to skip using it. It adds a lot of flavor at the very end.
- garlic or onion powder – you can use whichever you would like. If you would rather use fresh, make sure you finely mince it so you don’t get large mouthfuls of either.
storage and freezing tips
- Make ahead: You can get started on these sliders a day ahead of time. Just make up the entire sausage and cheese dip, cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Reheat in the microwave stirring often until reheated and then continue the recipe.
- Storage: If you actually wind up with any leftover sliders, they can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for about 3-4 days. When you’re ready to reheat, in the microwave heat until warm/hot. (about 1 minute)
- Freezing: These CAN be frozen. They don’t do very well past 3 months though. Make the entire recipe up until the garlic/onion butter topping. Instead of making them in a traditional baking dish, use a freezer safe casserole pan with a lid. (we use these). When you’re ready to serve them, place the pan straight into the oven and bake covered at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, top with the melted butter and garlic/onion powder and return to oven for another 5-10 minutes or until hot.
Love Sliders as much as we do?
Try these slider recipes for more delicious meals!
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- White Castle Cheeseburger Sliders
- Saucy Roast Beef & Swiss Sliders
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders
- Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
- Buffalo Boneless Hot Wing Sliders
- Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders
- Easy Italian Oven Baked Sliders
- Grilled Bacon and Onion Ribeye Steak Sliders with Beer Cheese
- Dr Pepper Saucy Chicken Sliders
Recipe for Knife and Fork Velveeta Cheeseburger Sliders
Knife and Fork Velveeta Cheeseburger Sliders
- 16 ounces Velveeta cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 ounces Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies like RO*TEL
- 1 pounds ground breakfast sausage
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12 slider buns
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder can substitute onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet on the stovetop, brown sausage and drain grease.1 pounds ground breakfast sausage
- Turn the stovetop to low and add in the cubed Velveeta and the Rotel. Allow to cook over low heat, stirring often until melted. Stir in sour cream.16 ounces Velveeta, 10 ounces Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 1/2 cup sour cream
- Arrange the slider buns into a baking dish removing the tops of each bun.12 slider buns
- Remove cheese and sausage mixture from stove when ready and pour over the buns. Replace the top of each slider.
- Brush melted butter over the tops of each slider and then sprinkle garlic powder or onion powder over the top.1/2 cup butter, 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot with knife and fork!