An old vintage classic jello salad. This Cherry Marshmallow Jello Salad is colorful, easy to make and still is a huge hit at holidays and bbq’s. The perfect side dish for a quick meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a classic, traditional… vintage, if you will…. recipe. You probably had it as a child or if you didn’t, someone you know did.
- Cherry Marshmallow Jello Salad is a very easy recipe, that can be changed up in flavor or added to with additions of your choice.
- This is a great side dish for the holiday’s in addition to all your favorite recipes.
- It is easily doubled or tripled as a side dish or dessert to feed a large crowd, making it a staple for large holiday gatherings.
We know Jello Salads aren’t for everyone, but we make this one for nearly every major holiday in our home.
The only thing we change up is the flavor of Jello we use and sometimes we add different fruit.
Definitely an old-school recipe, with throwback flair, but it tastes great and is a true classic.
What do you need to make Jello Salad?
- Jello – any flavor you want, but for this salad, we used Cherry flavored Jello.
- crushed pineapple – the crushed pineapple adds a lot of flavor to the Jello Salad.
- mandarin oranges – we buy the canned mandarin oranges for this, but if you had fresh mandarin’s you could totally use those.
- whipped cream – we just use the regular old cool whip, but you could use any of the lite or sugar free varieties or even make your own homemade whipped cream.
- mini marshmallows – you can choose white mini marshmallows or colorful marshmallows.
We tend to use colorful marshmallows for holidays and such, but white mini marshmallows for a more elegant setting or dinner party.
I hope your family likes this fun jello salad as much as mine did!
Fun Jello Salad Flavor Combinations and/or Substitutions
- Pina Colada Jello Salad – use Pineapple Jello and sprinkle coconut throughout.
- Creamsicle Jello Salad – mix orange Jello and Vanilla Pudding.
- Cherry Cola – mix cherry Jello with a can of cola.
- Root Beer Float – instant vanilla pudding instead of Jello flavor, remove pineapple and mandarin orange, add 1 can of root beer.
- Raspberry Lemonade – lemon Jello with raspberries swirled in before chilled.
- Strawberry Lemonade – lemon Jello with strawberries swirled in before chilled.
Be sure to pick up small packets of unflavored gelatin to add into salads if needed to thicken them up a bit.
A Great Vintage Jello Salad
This vintage jello salad is so festive and perfect for any holiday meal.
It’s perfect as a side, or as a different dessert.
The kids love it and even the adults can’t resist.
For whatever reason this reminds me of childhood with every bite!
Recipe for Cherry Marshmallow Jello Salad
Cherry Marshmallow Jello Salad
- 1 3 oz. pkg. cherry jello or any other flavor
- 2 20 oz. cans crushed pineapple
- 1-2 15 oz. cans mandarin oranges drained
- 1 8 oz. container whipped cream
- 1 10.5 oz. pkg. marshmallows we use the colorful ones for fun, the white when we’re being “formal”
- In a big bowl, dump the crushed pineapple WITH the juice (don’t drain it!!). Dump the jello in with the pineapple. Stir the entire thing until it’s thickened. Fold in whipped cream and stir well.
- Add in the mandarin oranges and stir. Add marshmallows. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours before serving.