A fun and festive, red, white and blue vintage jello salad. This Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad is perfect for summer BBQ’s, picnics, potlucks or to celebrate holiday’s like memorial day or 4th of July.
BBQ week is still going strong! Today I brought this incredibly delicious Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad
What is Jello Salad?
Jello salad is an American thing. Served at picnic’s, BBQ’s and potlucks for decades now. When you hear “salad”, you think leafy vegetables, but that is not the case with a “Jello Salad”. A Jello salad is a dessert dish more than a side dish.
They became popular in the 1960’s, but have made a come-back and are often served at summer barbecues and other large events. They are an inexpensive dish to create, making them a popular dessert when feeding a large group or crowd.
Because softened cream cheese is an ingredient in the dish, and my readers often ask me how to soften cream cheese quickly, I thought I’d answer that question.
How long does it take to soften cream cheese?
There are a few ways to soften cream cheese. The best way is to simply allow it to sit out about a half hour to an hour before using. However, do not allow it to sit out for more than 2 hours before using, or you risk bacteria growing.
If you need a quicker way to soften cream cheese, you can simply microwave an 8 ounce block for 15 seconds. If it still seems too cold, add another 10 seconds. Be careful not to melt it. Use as is directed in recipe.
How long does it take a Jello Salad to set?
It takes about 3-4 hours for the Jello Salad to set entirely. However, I usually recommend making it up the night before and allowing it to refrigerate overnight. This ensures best results.
Plus it allows you some free time the next day for other yummy recipes, like this Corn Black Bean and Cilantro Salsa Dip for a Crowd and this Grilled Corn with Garlic Herb Butter. They pair nicely with this Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad.
This recipe basically came from my grandmother’s recipe box, but I changed a few things to make it a little more patriotic.
Are you ready to make this Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad?
- BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob by The Spiffy Cookie
- Brown Butter Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Calico Beans with Hamburger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Easy White Bean Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa by Food Above Gold
- Grilled Pork Thai Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake by Our Good Life
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetables with Whipped Avocado Feta Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans by Sweet Beginnings
- Kaiser Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert by Family Around the Table
- Red Skinned Potato Salad by The Beard and The Baker
- Salami and Cream Cheese Roll Ups by Cookaholic Wife
- S’mores Bars by Back To My Southern Roots
Nicole Cook is the owner/editor of Daily Dish Recipes, a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on food/cooking/cocktails and much more.
She calls the Midwest home – Missouri to be exact. Coffee is her go-to drink, music is her vice and she is endlessly tethered with devices to her online world. She loves all things planner, lives for her great big family and loves her pets endlessly!
Her motto in life: Live Simply, Dream Big, Be Grateful, Give Love, Laugh Lots. Always, always laugh lots.