A fun and festive, red, white and blue vintage jello salad. This Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad is perfect for summer BBQ’s, picnics, potlucks or to celebrate holiday’s like memorial day or 4th of July.
BBQ week is still going strong! Today I brought this incredibly delicious Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad
What is Jello Salad?
Jello salad is an American thing. Served at picnic’s, BBQ’s and potlucks for decades now. When you hear “salad”, you think leafy vegetables, but that is not the case with a “Jello Salad”. A Jello salad is a dessert dish more than a side dish.
They became popular in the 1960’s, but have made a come-back and are often served at summer barbecues and other large events. They are an inexpensive dish to create, making them a popular dessert when feeding a large group or crowd.
Because softened cream cheese is an ingredient in the dish, and my readers often ask me how to soften cream cheese quickly, I thought I’d answer that question.
How long does it take to soften cream cheese?
There are a few ways to soften cream cheese. The best way is to simply allow it to sit out about a half hour to an hour before using. However, do not allow it to sit out for more than 2 hours before using, or you risk bacteria growing.
If you need a quicker way to soften cream cheese, you can simply microwave an 8 ounce block for 15 seconds. If it still seems too cold, add another 10 seconds. Be careful not to melt it. Use as is directed in recipe.
How long does it take a Jello Salad to set?
It takes about 3-4 hours for the Jello Salad to set entirely. However, I usually recommend making it up the night before and allowing it to refrigerate overnight. This ensures best results.
Plus it allows you some free time the next day for other yummy recipes, like this Corn Black Bean and Cilantro Salsa Dip for a Crowd and this Grilled Corn with Garlic Herb Butter. They pair nicely with this Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad.
This recipe basically came from my grandmother’s recipe box, but I changed a few things to make it a little more patriotic.
More Recipes for a BBQ
- BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads
- Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans
- No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert
Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad Recipe
Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad
- 2 3 ounce pkg. berry blue jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 21 ounce can blueberry pie filling
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup maraschino cherries drained and rinsed
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve the packets of jello in boiling water.
- Stir in the pie filling, crushed pineapple and juice, and the maraschino cherries.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl or a 9×13″ pan.
- Cover and refrigerate until partially set. This should only take about an hour.
- In another bowl, combine softened cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Blend well.
- Spread over jello.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm. (at least 4 hours)