These Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes are the bomb as far as a healthier snack option goes!
As is pretty common after the holidays around here, we try to eat lighter and a little less junk food, because well… Christmas treats and meals are a place we don’t hold back.
Any healthy snack is pretty much game especially if it includes vegetables and eliminates bread/carbs. I love changing up a vegetable dish and doing something a little out of the norm.
It’s not like this is a new concept – it’s totally not. I used to eat these Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes at my grandma’s when I was little.
I got excited about them again because Carsyn loves tomatoes. We are always amazed that a two year old’s favorite foods are tomatoes and Brussels sprouts. My daughter has mom’s tell her all the time how lucky she is that her son eats so well, and I agree.
However she was a really good eater too and when she was little people used to think I made her eat like a vegetarian or had her on some kind of diet, because she only chose vegetables and fruits when given an option for a snack or meal. I know I got lucky too. She still turns her nose up at hot dogs and pizza and would take a turkey burger over a regular one any day of the week.
But I decided to try these out as a change for Carsyn since a plain old tomato can get old after awhile. (not really, he eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you let him). But he has also recently discovered a love for cheese so why not combine those two loves and give him something I really loved as a kid too. Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes fit the bill!
Honestly I think the best part of these Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes is that they make a great side dish, snack or appetizer – so it’s a pretty versatile recipe that pairs great with many main dishes like Seafood or Steak. YUM!
Let’s make Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes
Garlic Cheese Oven Baked Tomatoes
- 1 large tomato sliced into about 4-6 slices about 1/2
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoon minced garlic depending on your taste
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup low moisture mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sliced tomatoes on a Baking Sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, Italian herbs, salt, ground pepper and cheeses.
- Using a Pastry Brush, brush the olive oil on the top of each tomato slice.
- Sprinkle cheese and garlic mixture generously, on top of each tomato slice.
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for approximately 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and turning golden.
Do you have a favorite way to enjoy your favorite vegetable that’s a little out of the ordinary. While not exactly healthy, we also love these