A bit of a spooky twist on a traditional favorite, this Halloween Puppy Chow in fun festive colors is a favorite at Halloween parties, events and get togethers.
This post and recipe were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! Samples were sent by the sponsor companies to use in the recipes, but all recipes and opinions are 100% my own.
We’re at day 3 of Halloween Treats Week. Today I brought this Halloween Puppy Chow. It’s one of our favorite treats to serve at Halloween parties.
We colored them purple, black, green and orange and then used fun festive sprinkles from both Wilton and Sweets & Treats to make them perfect for Halloween.
And of course we served them up in adorable little black cauldrons making them the perfect size for parties.
We like to serve ours in these little plastic black cauldrons. They actually are the perfect serving size most especially for parties.
Plus they make it easy to carry around, and can be cleaned out at the end of the night.
But if you want your guests to be able to help themselves, and you want to serve in a larger vessel, try one of these.
Facts and Tips for Making Puppy Chow
- Puppy Chow seems to go by a lot of different names, and they don’t seem to be region specific. This fun snack goes by puppy chow, muddy buddies, muddy munch, monkey munch and monster munch.
- The basic recipe usually calls for Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar.
- There are now flavored variations like Candy Cane Peppermint Puppy Chow and Gingerbread Puppy Chow (among many others).
- TO STORE PUPPY CHOW: In an airtight container or a plastic ziplock bag, zipped tightly, store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. You CAN store it room temperature but it tends to get a little stale after a few days, not lasting as long. For us, this has never really been a problem because we usually only make enough that its gone in 2 days flat.
- Why do they call it puppy chow? So nobody actually seems to know the origin of the actual name or recipe, however it is said that the reason why it is called puppy chow, is because the traditional, classic chocolate and peanut butter recipe tends to resemble puppy chow dog food. I’m not sure I agree, except in shape.
- Add Ins – Adding additional ingredients is fun, although not required. We have added nuts, pretzels, M&Ms, Sprinkles and more too our versions of Puppy Chow. For this recipe, I had trouble locating the new Black, Purple, Orange and Green Halloween M&M’s but they were going to go in there too.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- BloodShot Eyeball Chocolate Apple Slices from Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from Fake Ginger
- Day of the Dead Mexican Hot Cocoa from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gluten Free Graveyard Dirt Cake from Frugal & Fit
- Sugar Skull S’mores Cheesecake from Cookaholic Wife
- Jack Skellington Peanut Butter Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Hocus Pocus Potion from Jen Around the World
- Halloween Puppy Chow from Daily Dish Recipes
- Halloween Spooky Finger Cupcakes from Everyday Eileen
- Ghostly Halloween Brownie Cupcakes from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Chocolate Crack from Back To My Southern Roots
- Frosted Halloween Sheet Pan Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Slime Lava Cakes from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hocus Pocus Cake Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dia de los Muertos Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Ghoul’s Blood Cocktail from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Pretzel Owls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Monster Mash Halloween Edible Cookie Dough from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Haunted Gingerbread House from The Redhead Baker
- Black Cat Brownies from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Frankenberry Berry Hand Pies from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Haunted House Cupcake Tower from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Mummy Pizza Toast from Katie’s Cucina
- Ghostly Pumpkin Custards from My Sweet Zepol
- Cinnamon & Sugar Pretzel Bones from Savory Moments
- Bloody Good Vegan Cherry Chip Bundt Cake from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Candy Kabobs from Intelligent Domestications
- Halloween Hand Pies from A Blender Mom
- Halloween Dessert Board from Books n’ Cooks
Are you ready to make Halloween Puppy Chow?
We make this every single year, and you should begin that tradition too. We also make it for other holidays as well, and if you want a great one for Christmas, check out this Candy Cane Peppermint Puppy Chow.
Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouse is giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.