It’s the final day of #Choctoberfest and I’m a little sad it’s over. I mean, it’s chocolate and all good things come with chocolate! However if you search the hashtag you will find hundreds of things you can make when you’re having that chocolate craving, so even though the week is over – it will live on through the hashtag! I brought these Black Forest Parfaits to the table today because they are one of my favorite desserts to make when I’m craving some chocolate and something a bit special and want a quick and easy recipe.
Huge thanks goes to Allison at The PinterTest Kitchen for hosting the fun event, pulling it all together and finding such a fabulous group of bloggers who made the most delicious recipes! I know this was a lot of work and was one of the best I’ve participated in. Thank you to Imperial Sugar for sponsoring us and for the sugar to make all the recipes I’ll be making this holiday season.
I actually had a couple of other recipes to post throughout the week and I didn’t. My blog was giving me some problems over the past couple of days so I worked on that, instead of worrying about new content. I guess that just means I will have to share them throughout the coming weeks. They are perfect recipes for the holidays and so are these Black Forest Parfaits. These are easy peasy and really can be made simpler by using a box mix for the chocolate cake and store-bought whipped cream. But I opted to make my favorite dark chocolate cake for these yummy parfaits and I prefer homemade whipped cream, so that happened too. If you want to make them extra fancy with more flavor, try this Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake or this Spicy Dark Chocolate Cake.
We served these as desserts after a brunch party and they went fast. In fact, once they were all gone, people were looking for more to make another. I love Black Forest cakes – the chocolate and cherry is amazing and a simple cherry pie filling is what I used for this. It made them super easy and a little goes a long way. Serve them up in some cute little jars or glassware and you have an easy dessert that looks pretty too!
Are you ready to make Black Forest Parfaits?
Black Forest Parfaits
- Basic Dark Chocolate Cake, cut into cubes
- 3-4 tablespoons of Cherry Pie Filling per parfait
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (I used Imperial Powdered Sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Homemade Whipped Cream:
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a large bowl; add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Mix on low for about 30 seconds until you start to see some foam. Turn it up a little and run it about 30 seconds to a minute, gradually going up in speed until you see stiff peaks form. Don't over whip!
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Assembling the Parfaits:
- Place the cubes of chocolate cake into the bottom and sides of a glass serving bowl.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling on top making sure to get down into the chocolate cake too.
- Top with a scoop of homemade whipped cream.
- Garnish with cocoa powder, nuts and a cherry.
After you’ve checked out these awesome Black Forest Parfaits, visit the other great recipes in today’s round up!