Tart, gooey and oh so incredibly delicious, these Gooey Lemon Bars are SO easy, and a great summer afternoon snack or dessert.
Wait, what? When this post goes live, it will be December 1st. How is that possible? First, where did November go? And second, where the heck did 2014 go? I look back and see how great of a year it was, but just can’t seem to wrap my head around the fact that we have entered the last month of the year.
Well, with the December date, it also means today is the final 2014 Secret Recipe Club reveal date for my group. The blog I had this month was Food Ramblings which pretty much seems like the perfect name for a recipe blog. I ramble a lot and most of the time it’s about food, and I’m pretty sure my whole family would agree. At any rate, Food Ramblings is written by Elizabeth who is lucky enough to be married to Austin who also helps her cook some of the recipes on her blog.
It was most definitely not an easy task to choose a recipe, because truthfully I loved everything I saw. At first we wanted to make the Beef and Pepper Pasta or maybe the Bacon Parmesan Crusted Chicken, then we turned sweet and thought about Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars, because come on, Chocolate and Peanut Butter. And then we finally just picked a rather summery treat. Why? Well, mostly because I love lemon, and I love lemon bars and it’s cold and this makes me think of warmer weather. But I also chose her Gooey Lemon Bars because I thought they sounded delicious. Simple goodness that was fun and easy to make and that everyone loved.
Thank you Elizabeth for a fantastic recipe for delicious Lemon Bars that my whole family inhaled. The only change I made was to add powdered sugar at the very end and we didn’t want to wait and refrigerate them so we sprinkled the powdered sugar after they had cooled slightly and then we sliced right into them.
Gooey Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 1 box 18.25oz Lemon Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Confectioners Sugar if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 glass dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg. Press into the bottom of your baking dish. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, eggs and lemon juice.
- Use a whisk and beat until fluffy. Pour evenly over the crust.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely in dish
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired.
- Cut and Serve.