Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce
This decadent Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake smothered in a sweet, red wine raspberry sauce didn’t just say comfort, it screamed it.
Ah sweet comfort foods.
This time of year, as the temperatures drop and the leaves are changing, I love seeking comfort foods that warm the body and soul. Bring on this Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake.
When I think of comfort foods, I immediately go to chocolate. Chocolate is probably my comfort food of choice, though I have plenty of other favorites too.
And wine, wine certainly brings on the feeling of comfort.
Whether it’s a Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon or a Gallo Family Pinot Grigio that warms you up, there is a wine to compliment any dish.
I enjoy spending time with family in the colder months as we all sit around the fire place, warming our bodies, enjoying each others company.
I always have a glass of wine for the adults, to warm and comfort the soul too.
When I am entertaining, I love having a variety of wines on hand that compliment the various dishes I make, and honestly, I can’t think of anything that pairs better with chocolate than red wine.
Not only did I serve a glass of Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon with a warm slice of this decadent Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake, but I included it right in the recipe. Why not?
Both the chocolate cake and the raspberry sauce were only made better and enhanced by the combination taste of blackberry and black currant, balanced by just a hint of oak from the Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon.
This Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake got rave reviews and several requests for it to make an appearance again for the holidays. I think I will oblige.
Chocolate and red wine are a match made in heaven in my book, and my wonderful man couldn’t have agreed more. He rather enjoyed his red wine with a slice of this rich, decadent cake and deemed the match up, perfection.
It always makes me happy when I can come up with a recipe that he is this happy with.
This wonderful dessert was served after a delicious Seafood and Rice dish that was complimented further by a glass of Gallo Family Pino Grigio.
A perfect pairing in my book, as it brings together the refreshing crisp flavors of fresh green apple, white peach and citrus, complimenting the seafood wonderfully.
So whether its a Gallo Family Pino Grigio or a Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon you seek, you simply can’t go wrong.
But, why choose? Why not serve both?
I promise you won’t be disappointed and your guests will certainly thank you.
Let’s Make Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce
My favorite tools and accessories to use to make this cake:
To find a store near you, that carries Gallo Family Vineyards wines, check out the Where to Buy Tool right on their site.
Take a look at the wonderfully comforting dishes and wine pairings we’ve served up today!
There are just so many great recipes that are perfect for this time of year and for bringing comfort.
Great Comfort Food Recipes
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie
- Beef Goulash
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry
- Stuffed Acorn Squash
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce
For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup light olive or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For between the Layers:
- Red Raspberry Preserves
For the Ganache:
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 12 ounces of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup this makes the ganache shiny
For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce:
- 2 containers fresh raspberries
- 3/4 – 1 cup sugar to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon
- For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake:Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into two prepared 8″ round pans. Bake at 350 for about 25-28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For between the Layers:Once the cake is cooled completely, spread raspberry preserves on the top of one 8″ round. Place the other 8″ round on top.
- For the Ganache:In a pan over medium heat, add the chocolate and cream and stir until melted and combined. Stir constantly. Add the corn syrup and mix until combined. Remove from heat. Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes (ganache will thicken as it cools and become easier to spread and stay neat). Spread ganache around entire cake.
- For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce:Combine the raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan, mashing the raspberries a bit. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and add the lemon juice. Simmer for 3 minutes then add in the Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon. Continue to simmer for 1 minute.
- When ready to serve a slice of cake, spoon the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce onto the place. Set a slice of cake right into it and spoon more over the cake if desired.
This is thee perfect comfort food dessert as far as I’m concerned. I just love the combination of dark chocolate and red wine.
Thank you so much Renee, it was fantastic! Chocolate really is my favorite comfort food!
What a gorgeous cake! The moist buttermilk chocolate base, the amazing ganache and the raspberry red wine sauce all combine for an exquisite dining experience!
Thank you Liz, this cake turned out so much better than I had thought.
Wine, and chocolate? The PERFECT comfort dish!
I’m with ya Nichole! Thank you!
Yes yes yes – chocolate and red wine are a match made in comfort food heaven!
Well your mom said it was, so as far as I’m concerned it’s literally the perfect comfort food! :p hahah Thank girl! 🙂 xoxo
Wow! Your cake looks beautiful and so light and rich! I love, love, love it!
Thank you so much Jennifer. It was pretty amazing!
Look’s delicious, would love this while sitting in front of the fireplace.
I think that could be arranged my love. 🙂
Oh my goodness – this looks so decadent and delicious. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you my sweet friend. I was so excited about how the cake turned out, I wasn’t sure about the photos, but I am definitely thrilled with the results of both. 😉 xoxo
Chocolate and red wine go perfectly together, yum!
Do they ever Shaina! Thank you!
I’m sold! Now just need an excuse!
No excuse needed. Just say “I really just need some comfort” and there you go. 🙂 haha
Red wine and chocolate make the ultimate comfort food!! Nicole, your cake looks divine! I want to take a dive right into that raspberry sauce!!
Dive right in, I had considered it a few times 😉 haha Thank you!
Your cake is gorgeous! And what delicious flavors with the chocolate, raspberries and red wine…yum!!
It really was a pleasant melding of delicious flavors. They all go so well together. Thanks Alida!
Gorgeous Nicole! My mouth won’t stop watering!
Thank you Cindy. Wish I could share a piece through the computer with you.
You are SCREAMING my comfort foods with this gorgeous cake. Chocolate and Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon are the BEST!!!
Desserts are most definitely REQUIRED when it comes to comfort foods. Am I right? xoxo
Love the dark chocolate decadence!
Thank you so much Brianne! 🙂
That cake is not simply whispering in my ear, but shouting at me to take a bite. It looks truly magnificent. I’ll be right over, and it better not be all gone!
Trust me I heard it loud and clear screaming at me from the cake stand. I was dying to dig in! So good and so worth the wait. I’ll save you a piece when you arrive. 😉