Chocolate Caramel Filled Cupcakes topped with green frosting and filled with dripping caramel when they take their first bite. And further decorated with eye of newt, bones, spiders, bubbles and eyeballs. Could it be any creepier? You’ll love these Black Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes!
How is it already October? This year has simply flown by. October brings Halloween Treats Week and today is the first day.
I brought these adorable Black Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes to the proverbial Halloween table today.
These chocolate cupcakes are stuffed with caramel, topped with green icing and sprinkled with sprinkles like bones, spiders, eyeballs and bubbles.
I wanted to keep the cupcake itself pretty simple. It’s a simple chocolate cupcake, filled with Litehouse caramel.
The frosting is homemade and is a simple vanilla buttercream frosting tinted with Wilton Color Right Coloring System and topped with a combination of sprinkles from Sweets & Treats and Wilton.
If you can’t find the exact sprinkles I used, both Wilton and Sweets and Treats make other adorable mixes that are perfect for these cupcakes.
The exact sprinkles I used from Sweets & Treats are Dragon Dreams.
The sprinkles I used from Wilton are various sized eyeballs, white bones, black spiders and green newts. All can be found at stores that carry Wilton products.
More Halloween Recipe Ideas:
Check out these other cute Halloween recipes!
- Chocolate Candy Witch Cauldrons from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Corn Layer Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Ghostly Popcorn Balls from Our Good Life
- Halloween Stuffed Chocolate Whoopie Pies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Jack o Lantern Bundt Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Truffle Pumpkin Spider Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
Are you ready to make Black Cauldron Chocolate Caramel Filled Cupcakes for Halloween?
I know we will be making them for Halloween this year!
Recipe for Black Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes
Black Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup caramel squares
For Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons clear vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Green gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Insert Wilton black cupcake liners into a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and half of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- With a mixer, mix on medium low for about 45 seconds. Add the rest of the milk mixture, and mix on medium low for another 20 seconds.
- Divide the cupcake batter between the cupcake liners. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a just a few crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before doing anything else.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, scoop out the centers of the cupcakes. Do not go all the way through, you're only scooping out a small amount. Fill with caramel squares and then places the piece you scooped out back on top pressing gently to keep in place.
To Make Frosting
- In stand mixer, mix the powdered sugar and butter on low speed. Stir in the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk. Set aside the rest of the milk.
- Continue beating the mixture and add the food coloring blending well in between drops until you get the color you want. Add enough milk to get the frosting smooth and spreadable.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If for any reason, the frosting is too thick, beat in a little more milk, just a couple of drops at a time. Likewise, if the frosting seems too thin, beat in a little powdered sugar a tiny amount at a time.
- Pipe icing on cooled cupcakes and then sprinkle the sprinkles on top.