A moist, fluffy crumb with a sweet, sticky topping, this Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake will get you excited for fall!
My house is full of the sweet scent of fall spices, wafting out of the kitchen and down the halls and into the bedrooms where 4 teenagers are sleeping.
It’s a Tuesday morning and my kids are off school this week for Fall break, and they will be waking up to the sweet smell of Pumpkin Spice Poke cake.
They are teenagers, so their first question when they get out here will be, can I have some for breakfast?
Cake… for breakfast? Normally, I’d say no way. What are you thinking? I’d wonder….
But, today, I will say yes. Because I’ve already enjoyed my piece of this sweet, delicious, slightly spicy, moist as heck, messy piece of cake. I had a piece with my morning coffee and I am not sorry.
My oldest daughter, the 5th teenager, is away at Navy bootcamp. And having her leave, made me realize that I don’t really have that much time left.
So today, we will have cake for breakfast. And I will say yes. Because I’m that mom, and I am not ashamed.
Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake
You won’t be either after you taste one bite.
This isn’t even a made from scratch cake and I had to wait for it to cool down, to even do anything with it, and then I had my first bite, which led to a second and a third, and before I knew it, I’d enjoyed my first piece of cake before 8:30am.
But again, I’m not sorry today.
Welcome to Day #4 of our Spooky Treats Week. I cannot tell you how much fun I’ve had this week, and I am sad that tomorrow is the last day. But don’t fear, we’ll be back for Christmas with a LOT more treats!
My friend Pam over at Blueberries and Blessings is the other host for this week’s treats. She made Homemade Three Musketeers yesterday! You need to check those out!
Note: You might want to let this cake have some more time in the fridge before slicing it.
I made the mistake of pulling it out of the refrigerator early so I could taste it, and it was quite messy, but again, I didn’t care. It was worth it. Enjoy!
See you tomorrow!
Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake
Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake
- 1 box of spice cake mix
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 2 boxes of pumpkin spice pudding
- In a large bowl, combine the spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs and oil. Mix well for about 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and bake as directed on the back of the cake mix box.
- Remove from oven when finished and allow to cool for about a half hour or so.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon or a straw, poke holes in 1" intervals around the cake.
- Prepare the pudding mix as directed on the box, immediately spreading it all over the top of the cake.
- Allow it to cool in the refrigerator.
- Remove when ready to serve, spread the pudding aroudn the top evenly around one last time because there will probably be some spots where you can tell it went into your holes.
- Slice and serve.
- Refrigerate covered leftovers for up to a week.