I’m a penny pincher who likes to eat tasty food that is easy to eat. I also love making my own condiments, dressings and dips. Mostly because I don’t want all the additives and preservatives in there. I just want pure, fresh food.
I was always afraid to make my own ranch dressing recipe from scratch because I thought it would be too hard, or it wouldn’t taste good.
I really enjoy creating sauces and dips from scratch, it was time to find a ranch dressing recipe that I could make from scratch.
I have tried and tested a bunch of different recipes for homemade ranch dressing, and I’ve definitely had a few hits & misses.
This one, is by far my favorite. It is easy, inexpensive and makes quite a bit.
Each time we make it, we add this or we add that, and often we add different herbs and seasonings.
This is my standard, go to, favorite buttermilk ranch dressing . And it’s truly made from scratch which makes it all the better. I like knowing what I’m putting in it, and I love using fresh herbs and seasonings. In the recipe I specifically give you a measurement for onion powder, however you can substitute that for fresh minced onion. It really changes the flavor and the outcome is simply divine.
I’m also not sure we’ve ever made the same batch more than twice, simply because I don’t measure as well as I should, but the last batch we made, I did measure out what I used so I could share the ranch dressing recipe with you.
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic (we use two because we love the garlic flavor)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1-2 teaspoon of fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Put the onion, garlic clove and fresh chives into your food processor or a blender and blend until completely minced.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Turn on your blender or food processor and blend it all well. I blend about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor with a spatula if needed. I do this once about halfway through.
- Pour into air tight containers or mason jars and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- This recipe makes about 2½ bottles of standard size dressing.
- Keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Serve with fresh veggies, a salad or like we do – with AWESOME fried veggies. Obviously this ranch dressing recipe can be used anywhere ranch dressing is called for, and trust me we do! I usually make a batch of it, and plan a few meals around it for the 2 weeks following so it gets used. We use ranch dressing in so much, including pasta, casseroles, appetizers, veggies dishes and the old stand by, to dip stuff in. Lots of stuff. Like pizza, veggies, crackers, chicken, beef, etc. Yes, we might just be ranch dressing addicts.
Have you ever made your own ranch dressing recipe? Tell me about it! Honestly, this is the only ranch dressing recipe I will use, and it is so easy to change up the flavor by making minor tweaks to the seasonings and herbs. Enjoy!