Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse (mousse au chocolat)
Rich, decadent, delicious fluffy Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse (mousse au chocolat). The perfect dessert for an elegant party or simply just because … chocolate!
Good morning, and Happy National Chocolate Mousse day! Are you ready to celebrate? I know I am!
In honor of the holiday, and of course the fact that today is letter C in the A-Z Blogging Challenge, I am going with Chocolate. Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse to be exact. And ohhhhh em gee…. it’s simply decadent and rich and perfect.
I’ve made chocolate mousse several times, and it’s not one of those things you can just whip up without measuring because you really want it to turn out perfect. And this recipe makes it turn out perfect every time.
So before I jumped into making it for the blog, I googled a few recipes to make sure that what I had written on my index card was accurate. For the most part, the recipe I had, matched several online. I found several instances of mostly the same recipe.
That happens a lot, but just because you find the same recipe doesn’t mean it comes out perfect or there aren’t variables that need to be watched.
But still I happened upon several that matched my recipe…
However, there was one in particular that my recipe matched exactly, but with one optional ingredient.
Can someone explain to me what they meant to type there? I mean what could that have possibly been a typo or auto-correct for. I do not have that ingredient on mine. At all.
For hours we laughed about that. As I was nearing the completion of our mousse, one of my funny daughter’s walked into the kitchen carrying the dog and asked if I was ready for her yet. LOL (I love my sick, weird, nutty family)
We will laugh about this for a long time.
Anyway, on to the GOOD recipe… you know, the one without optional dog.
Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse (mousse au chocolat)
If you’re interested in a deeper Hazelnut flavor, as the flavor with the coffee is very mild, feel free to add a 1/4 tsp. of Hazelnut extract to the recipe – if you want to do this, add it after you have added the sugar and mixed to the egg whites. Then add the extract.
Check out my other recipes posted for the A-Z Challenge:
A – Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
D – Chocolate Rum Donuts with Chocolate Rum Ganache Glaze
E – Green Onion, Egg & Toast Tarts (or cups)
F – Fruit Tarts (Mini)
I – Creamy Coconut Pineapple Ice Cream
J – Spicy Jalapeno Bacon Deviled Eggs
K – Key Lime Cookies
L – Lemon Donuts
N – Italian Nachos
How do you make Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse?
Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse
- 1 cup heavy cream cold
- 5 ½ ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 ounces unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup of strongly brewed Hazelnut Coffee
- 3 large eggs separated
- 4 tablespoon of sugar
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
- Whip your cold heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for now.
- In a double boiler, combine the finely chopped chocolate, butter and coffee. Heat until hot but not boiling, that's too hot. Stir frequently. Heat until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to warm, but NOT hot. Test on the inside of your wrist to see if it feels warm and not hot. Dab a tiny bit of chocolate there. You don't want to allow it to cool too much because you will have problems with the other ingredients.
- Once the melted chocolate has cooled slightly, it's time to move onto the eggs.
- In a bowl, add only the egg whites. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg whites until foamy and thick. Add the sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks are forming. You don't want it too thick.
- Add the yolks to the chocolate before it cools too much, gently stirring. Grab your bowl of whipped cream from the refrigerator that you set aside and stir in about 1/3 of it into the into the chocolate. Then fold in bout half of the egg whites. Alternate until you have both ingredients full incorporated into the chocolate, stirring gently.
- Fill your serving dishes and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream, and finely chopped chocolate shavings. Berries are a nice touch too.
I am drooling all over my keyboard, Nicole! I remember visiting your blog before for a recipe and remembered the header. 🙂
One cup for me, please! Followed by a strong cuppa coffee – I promise to make it really special for you!
Yum! This looks so good! Stopping by through the A-Z challenge!
So glad you stopped by, I will return the favor.
I didn’t know it was Mousse Day! What a great holiday LOL. This recipe makes my mouth water just reading it.
Fun theme for the A-Z! 🙂
Right? We should have holidays more often like this one. haha
Thanks for stopping by Julie!
It looks and sounds delicious. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!
And how funny about the dog. I mean, assuming that’s a typo and all.
haha The dog… man I hope it was a typo. 😉
Love this recipe (sans dog) because of the hazelnut. Yum!
lol Anita, definitely without the dog. Crazy and yes, I so love Hazelnut. I triple brewed it to get a strong Hazelnut flavor because we love it so much 🙂
Hi Nicole, chocolate mousse has to be one of my all time favorites, especially when nuts are included. Chocolate and nuts, a marriage made in heaven. But, chocolate, nuts and a dog? You made me laugh with that one. Happy A to Zing, especially if you get to eat the subject of each blog post ~ Judy
I love chocolate mousse. The dog, I’ll leave. I mean I have four, but I don’t plan on bringing them into any recipes. haha
And I do get to eat the subject of each post, it’s simply wonderful! Thanks for stopping by!
Aahahahaaaaa yes dogs are very good in mousse 😛 (ewwwww lol)
I adore chocolate & hazelnut, and this looks fab!
Right Kayle? Nuttiest recipe I’ve seen.
Thanks hon! 🙂
Hmm…yummy. I’m totally gonna pin this. Great recipe (and happy A to Z, too).
Thanks so much Daniel, Happy A-Z right back at ya… I’m stopping by yours next.
I think it’d be ok if my dog were in my general vicinity while making this mousse but dog IN my mousse? Lol, no thanks! That’s hilarious. This mousse looks divine, Nicole! I wish I had a cup of this for breakfast right now.
Right? I mean my 4 are always under my feet when I’m cooking praying for me to drop a crumb or something, but that recipe freaks me out. And I cannot for the life of me figure out what they were trying to say. haha
Oh my Goodness! I’m so glad I discovered your blog. (Visitor from the A-Z Challenge)
This recipe looks fantastic! Yummy! I’ll definitely be giving this one a go (and coming back to look at what other delicious goodies I can have a go at whipping up!)
Hazelnut coffee sounds like a nice ingredient for a chocolate mousse!
Wow, this looks so dark and delicious! I want my own little serving right now 🙂