A fun and creamy chocolate pie inspired by the movie The Help. Minny’s Chocolate Pie is a true chocolate lovers favorite!
Minnys Chocolate Pie inspired by The Help
The movie The Help is by far, one of my top 10 most favorite movies of all time. So when we decided it was time to take our recipes to the movies, The Help was an easy choice for me.
If you’ve spent anytime around my blog, you’d know already that I have a certain affection with southern food, and you can’t get much more southern than a good old traditional chocolate pie. And I have wanted to make one since I saw the movie, minus Minny’s “special ingredient”.
Awhile back, I had clipped a Chocolate Pie recipe out of our local paper in hopes I’d get around to making it, so I did.
And it was delicious. In fact, it was AWESOME.
However I wanted something closer to the movie version – a little thicker, a little firmer. So I went on a hunt and googled the pie from the movie and came across the original recipe by Lee Ann Fleming from the movie The Help. How cool is that? You can get Minny’s Original Chocolate Pie recipe here.
On the other hand, today I am sharing with you the first one I made, because we really adored it.
Best Movie Inspired Recipes
Toast (bready things)
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland)
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza)
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations)
No Reservations (soups and salads)
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish)
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico)
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club)
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille)
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles)
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night)
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food)
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp)
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman)
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride)
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help)
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi)
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette)
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather)
Recipe for Minny’s Chocolate Pie Recipe
Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- 1 frozen unbaked pie crust
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 oz of unsweetened baking chocolate squares
- ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Remove the pie crust from the freezer and allow to thaw for about 20 minutes before using.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, eggs and sugar until mixed well.
- Using a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring frequently until completely mixed.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the flour/sugar mixture and mix everything together well.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate “batter” into the pie shell and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.