There is something to be said about a Cucumber when you’re trying to beat the heat of summer. It’s such a refreshing, crisp, and oh-so-healthy fruit. Yes, that’s right, I said fruit. It’s available any time of year, but it’s peak times are right now, from May to August. Seems fitting since this is the time I want to beat the heat the most. This cool cucumber melon smoothie did the trick!
This week for #SundaySupper we are focusing on recipes that help to beat the heat. Think – no cooking, or low cooking (like the crock pot). I started thinking about this when I was planning my recipe. What is one thing I make a lot of during the summer months, and immediately I went straight to smoothies. Of course, it helps that Isabel reminded me of that when I got frustrated and couldn’t come up with anything new and a little different. (Something I strive for so often, it’s really ridiculous). So thank you Isabel for keeping me grounded and not allowing me to give up.
Anyway, smoothies are my summer thing. I definitely eat less during the summer, I am just always thirsty. I’d rather have a thirst quenching drink than anything else.
Sweet Basil and Cucumber Melon Smoothie
A smoothie isn’t really all that different or unique, and they are really healthy, but throw in some home grown sweet basil, fresh from the garden cucumbers and some almond milk together and you have the beginnings of one super healthy smoothie and honestly the most refreshing smoothie I’ve ever had. Toss in a couple of chunks of Cantaloupe just to enhance the flavor a bit and you might be surprised at just how tasty this Sweet Basil and Cucumber Melon Smoothie is. Make it even more healthy if your melon is sweet enough on it’s own. Jut eliminate the agave nectar/honey step, most of the time it doesn’t need it.
This was by far one of the best smoothies I’ve ever had. The point of a smoothie is to cool down usually. But I wanted something that was not only going to cool me down, but also refresh me a bit. This Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie did the trick. Not only did I cool off down to my core, but it quenched my thirst which was something I was truly after with this particular smoothie.
And if you’re still around, I hope you’ll go check out all the other participants AND check out my original beat the heat post – a delicious Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad. (with 3 ways to eat it as a meal!)
This week’s #SundaySupper team has taken on the challenge of the #BeatTheHeat theme and totally outdone themselves with mouthwatering appetizers, sweet cool treats, refreshing drinks to cool you down and scrumptious main dishes that require little to no heat. Be sure and check them out!
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ