This is our favorite Easy Homemade Lasagna. It’s layered and layered and filled to the absolute rim with gooey melted cheese and loads of flavor.
Makes enough for one REALLY big layered lasagna or two regular size pans of lasagna. Freeze one, and make the other tonight.
Why You’ll Love this Easy Homemade Lasagna
If your family’s a fan of lasagna, they’ll love this super easy homemade lasagna you’ll be bringing to the dinner table — there are lots of reasons to love this recipe.
- Easy – While lasagna might be a little time consuming with all those layers, this is actually an incredible easy lasagna recipe.
- Budget Friendly – This recipe is quite budget friendly and easy on the wallet. The recipe itself technically makes two lasagnas so it’s enough for TWO meals!
- Convenient – You don’t need new ingredients to make this different style of pancakes.
- Make Ahead – This recipe makes either one super tall pan of lasagna OR two regular size pans of lasagna. This allows you to freeze one pan for another busy night! Win win!
Ingredients for Easy Homemade Lasagna
Six ingredients (or less) are all you need to whip up this homemade lasagna. You could technically leave out the spinach but we like it because it’s adding a veggie to the whole casserole.
- lasagna noodles – if you don’t have lasagna noodles, you could absolutely substitute any type of pasta in this dish and it will be a lasagna pasta dish!
- spaghetti sauce – use homemade spaghetti sauce or jarred spaghetti sauce. Add beef, ground turkey or shredded chicken to change it up.
- shredded Cheese – we usually buy an italian cheese blend but we also LOVE it with a Colby Jack cheese blend! Any cheese will do.
- frozen spinach – we add frozen spinach to our lasagna to get some veggies into it. This CAN be left out but you won’t be disappointed!
- cottage cheese – We use cottage cheese for ease and because we almost always have it, if you’d rather use ricotta or your own filling, go right ahead.
- parmesan cheese – fresh parmesan cheese is incredible here, but we typically just use the traditional green can of parmesan.
How to Make Homemade Lasagna
This recipe looks like a challenge but it’s actually super easy!
- Preheat oven to 350. Boil noodles.
- Drain noodles and layer in pan.
- Mix cottage cheese, seasoning and spinach and spread evenly over noodle layer.
- Spread spaghetti sauce over the top of the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat all layers.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
What to serve with homemade lasagna
Anything you’d serve with a pasta dish or spaghetti in particular, will go perfect with this homemade lasagna.
This easy lasagna dish can be changed up in a bunch of ways to make your own delicious version!
- seasonings – add garlic, rosemary, italian seasoning or any variation to up the flavor profile
- sauce – make your own homemade tomato sauce or add beef to your sauce to kick up your lasagna. We love adding ground turkey to our recipe.
- vegetables – Easily add a layer of vegetables to the lasagna… anything from carrots to spinach, or even beans or corn.
- Toppings – Traditionally we top a lasagna with more cheese, because you can’t go wrong with more cheese. But if you want to kick your lasagna up a notch and try something new, drizzle some hot sauce over the top, or crumble some bacon. There are many ways to add more flavor and have some fun with a basic lasagna.
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
This lasagna can easily be made ahead of time, is very easy to store and is definitely made for freezing!
Make-Ahead: Make these ahead of time and easily reheat when ready. Store in refrigerator in covered casserole pan for next day baking or freeze.
Freezer: Freeze prepared lasagna for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. When ready to bake the lasagna, remove from freezer, remove lid, cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour.
More Pasta Recipes
- Easy Creamy Chicken Ziti
- Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta
- Lasagna Penne Pasta Casserole
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a star rating on the recipe and/or tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #dailydishrecipes on Instagram or Pinterest if you’ve made any of my recipes. I always love to see what you’re making in your kitchen.
If you want to see more, please follow us on instagram, pinterest, facebook or twitter. See you there!
Easy Homemade Lasagna
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 16 ounces shredded cheese
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil the noodles on stovetop until al dente. Drain.
- Layer the bottom of a casserole pan with lasagna noodles.
- Next, in a bowl, mix together the spinach, trying to remove as much moisture as possible, mix in the cottage cheese and sprinkle your seasonings in. Mix this whole thing together and put it on top of the noodles.
- Next top with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of that.
- Do all four things again – Noodles, Cottage Cheese Mix, Sauce, and Cheese. By now you will have basically used half of what you have… keep going and make it a giant lasagna, or grab a second freezer safe pan and begin to fill that one the same way.
- Preheat oven to 350 and cover casserole dish with foil. Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on oven. (Last 15 minutes take the foil off)
- If you made a second casserole, cover with a lid and freeze for another night. Enjoy!