Patriotic Drink (Non-Alcoholic)
Cool down these hot summer days with a pitcher of this patriotic drink!
A fruity, refreshing and fizzy drink that is sure to wow your friends & family!
This is a perfectly festive drink for any patriotic holiday, bbq or even a pool party.
Deep blue color, refreshing citrus flavor and a delicious summertime cool down drink!
If you love delicious refreshing drink recipes, give this Homemade Watermelon Lemonade recipe a try.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You know what they say: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If life gives you limes, make a margarita. But what if life gives you neither? Well, obviously you make this delicious patriotic drink!
- These patriotic drinks are refreshing, citrusy and sweet.
- If you want to add a little extra flavor, you can add some maraschino juice a little at a time and you’ll get more purple drink than blue.
- And the very best of all, is that it is super easy to make.
The perfect citrus punch for summer!
Ingredients For A Patriotic Drink
The ingredients for this patriotic drink recipe are very basic, but are non-alcoholic. This doesn’t mean you can’t add alcohol to make it fun for the adults (more on that in a minute).
- lemon-lime soda – we used sprite, but you could really use anything you wanted. We’ve also used this Sparkling Ice in Lemon Lime Flavor. It was delicious!
- blue Curaçao syrup
- freshly squeezed orange juice with or without pulp or an orange carbonated soda – this would be a personal preference really. It’s good either way, and honestly we just like how the orange soda looks in the drink more than the orange juice, but the orange juice adds a lot more flavor.
- maraschino cherry and/or orange slice, for garnish (obviously optional)
- Ice, optional
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Curaçao is a liqueur made from the dried peel of the laraha citrus fruit. This citrus fruit is grown on the island of Curaçao in the Caribbean. If you’d like to see what the fruit looks like or learn more about it, this is a great resource.
There is definitely some controversy about which is the proper way to pronounce the word. However, the proper pronunciation is actually cure-ah-SOW. And if you want a little background this pronunciation video is straight from someone who lives there.
No matter how you decide to say it, it’s delicious and adds something special besides its beautiful blue color, to almost any drink you use it in.
The best way to describe the taste of blue curaçao syrup is a citrus orange flavor that tastes a lot like a clementine orange. It is a mild orange flavor, very sweet and goes so incredibly well in so many different types of drinks.
The short answer is no. The syrup is NOT alcoholic, but the liqueur is. This recipe calls for the syrup rather than the liqueur. We love Torani blue curaçao syrup, but we have also used this Monin Blue Curacao Syrup.
With Labor Day right around the corner, I think this drink would pair beautifully with all your BBQ festivities.
I hope you love it as much as we do!
What if I want to add alcohol?
You can add alcohol to this recipe either. We have found that it pairs best with vodka or clear rum as written.
But if you want to substitute the blue curacao syrup for actual blue curacao… go for it.
Printable Recipe for Patriotic Drink
Patriotic Drink Recipe (Citrus Punch)
- 3-4 tablespoons blue Curaçao syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice OR orange soda
- 1.5 cups lemon lime soda
- orange slice and/or maraschino cherry garnish optional
- In a tall highball glass, pour all ingredients and stir well.3-4 tablespoons blue Curaçao syrup, 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice OR orange soda, 1.5 cups lemon lime soda
- Add ice, an orange slice or maraschino cherries as garnish, if desiredice, orange slice and/or maraschino cherry