I am a pretty huge Strawberry Shortcake fan and if I can make them myself, I would rather. This recipe for Strawberry Shortcakes is an old-fashioned recipe that tastes like an elegant dessert that took hours.
S is for Strawberries. S is also for a lot of other foods, but Strawberries were on my mind the day I was working on this letter. I decided on a delicious Strawberry Shortcake for a really delicious #SundaySupper two weeks ago.
It’s really pretty easy and quick, I started it with dinner and we were enjoying it almost as soon as we were finished.
Strawberry Shortcake with Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 2 C. flour
- 4 Tbs. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp.baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, cold and sliced
- 2 Tbs. solid all-vegetable shortening, cold
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
For Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbs. sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease an 8" cake pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl in your stand mixer.
- Add the sliced butter.
- Blend on low until the butter is ¼ of the size it was. About the size of a large pea.Then cut in the cold shortening until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Next, pour in the buttermilk, a little at a time using your dough hook on low. Blend until the mixture forms a dough and leaves the side of the bowl. Continue allowing the dough hook to do its job on low for about a minute longer. The dough should hold together beautifully and be very soft.
- Pat the dough into a prepared 8" cake pan, make sure you have it as even as you can.
- Bake about 15-18 minutes or until the top is golden. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes still in the pan. Then, invert from the cake pan onto the wire rack to continue cooling - keep the bottom side facing upward.
- Allow to cool completely before adding the Strawberry whipped cream.
For the Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- Grab two bowls. Remove the Strawberry greens and slice the strawberries in half (if its still kind of large, cut it again). Put half in one bowl, and put half in the other bowl.Sprinkle each bowl of strawberries with 1 Tbs. of sugar.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream, you should see it start forming peaks.
- When the whipped cream is ready, dump one bowl of the strawberries into a food processor and process for about 30 seconds until you have a thick liquidy strawberry mess.
- Fold the strawberry mess into the whipped cream just until it is combined.
- Chill for about 15 minutes.
To assemble it all:
- After the cake has cooled completely, slice the cake in half. Gently slide each half on a separate plate with the cut side facing up. Spread the strawberry whipped cream on the cut side of both slices of cake. Now join them back up. Cut the shortcake into wedges, top with more whipped cream and the 2nd bowl of strawberries. Serve! Absolutely delicious!