Slightly nutty, slightly sweet, crisp on the outside and deliciously soft and buttery on the inside, Air Fryer Butter and Herb Smashed Sunchokes are a great side dish for any meal.
Have you ever tried a sunchoke before? Sunchokes are a tubular-shaped, thin-skinned root vegetable. They are part of the sunflower plant family and they are in season from late fall through early spring.
They are often called Jerusalem artichokes but are NOT an artichoke.
They are incredibly good for you, and are a great source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
In addition, they’re also low-calorie, fiber-rich, and contain the carbohydrate inulin, which helps to keep blood and glucose levels stable.
They are definitely a root vegetable you should give a try!
And if you have never had Sunchokes before, these Air Fryer Butter and Herb Smashed Sunchokes are the way to go.
While they are a root vegetable, they more closely resemble a tuber like a potato with a slightly sweeter creamy center.
They are delicious roasted, pan fried or… in this case, air fried.
We love using our air fryer for almost everything and this dish is no exception.
The final results are a creamy, soft buttery inside with a slightly crispy inside. If you don’t want to smash them, you do not have to, but if you do, when you add seasoning, it really gets every part.
Mouth watering delicious.
If you’ve never tried Sunchokes before, this is our favorite way to prepare them or introduce others to them.
Pin these Air Fryer Butter and Herb Smashed Sunchokes for later!
Are you ready to make Air Fryer Butter and Herb Smashed Sunchokes?
Air Fryer Butter and Herb Smashed Sunchokes
- 1 1/2 pounds Sunflower Chokes Sunchokes
- 2-3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sunchokes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once the sunchokes have cooled enough to handle, lay them out on a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper. Using a glass, gently smash the sunchokes down.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and then top with salt, pepper garlic powder and herbs to taste.
- Place them in your air fryer in a single layer, at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.
- Check them at about the 6-7 minute mark and shake the basket a little to toss them around.
- Finish cooking - total time about 10 minutes or so (all air fryers vary!). Remove from air fryer when finished, toss in more butter and herbs if desired. Serve immediately.