Slightly tweaked version of a Dark Chocolate Caramel Sauce from The Joy of Cooking – deep, dark, chocolaty good. Serve this rich, creamy Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce over ice cream, pancakes, waffles, crepes, anything!
What is Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce Made With?
With just a few ingredients, you’ll be enjoying this chocolate salted caramel sauce recipe in no time.
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- heavy cream – to get the thickest, creamiest chocolate sauce, I strongly urge you not to try to substitute here, but if you have to, substitute with half and half.
- bittersweet chocolate – if you would prefer to make a milk chocolate version of this, you can change the type of chocolate you use.
- vanilla extract – while this is standard in a chocolate sauce recipe, you absolutely could try out different flavors to get different results. We loved it with almond extract.
- flaky sea salt or fleur de sel
I’ve been making this slightly adapted version of a Joy of Cooking chocolate sauce recipe for years, without the salt.
Last summer, after a few delicious rounds of homemade ice cream, I decided to try a batch with some sea salt flakes to see what that was like.
And it was like heaven.
We’ve been making it like this ever since.
What Can I Do With Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce?
This rich chocolate sauce goes great drizzled over waffles, pancakes, crepes, ice cream, sundae’s, pie, cake….
So pretty much anything you might like a little salted chocolate caramel sauce goodness over.
It makes a nice offering on any dessert table, as does my Easy Mocha Fudge Sauce. You might also really like my Dr Pepper Cherry Caramel Sauce which also includes a recipe for Dr Pepper Cherry Ice Cream.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH DARK CHOCOLATE CARAMEL SAUCE?
If you want a really unique and delicious flavor experience, try it with our Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a star rating on the recipe and/or tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #dailydishrecipes on Instagram or Pinterest if you’ve made any of my recipes. I always love to see what you’re making in your kitchen.
If you want to see more, please follow us on instagram, pinterest, facebook or twitter. See you there!
Recipe for Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce
Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce
- 4 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ cups of unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 12 ounces of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2 ½ Tablespoons of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of fleur de sel or any other flaky sea salt (add more if desired, to taste)
- In a heavy saucepan, stir the sugar and wate together over medium high heat, until the sugar has dissolved and it’s clear. Do not let the mixture boil yet.
- Once it’s clear and the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up to high, cover and allow to heat to boil for 2 minutes. (begin counting when you put the lid on, not when it boils)
- After the 2 minutes, uncover the saucepan and allow to boil, swirling the pan around occasionally, you see the mixture get dark around the edges.
- As it begins to darken, begin swirling the pan continuously until the syrup is a deep amber color and just begins to smoke.
- Remove immediately.
- Add the butter, and mix until melted and mixed in.
- Next, stir in the heavy cream.
- When adding in the heavy cream, if the sauce starts becoming lumpy, place back over very LOW heat while stirring until smooth. One smooth remove immediately from heat.
- Now it’s time to add the finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and stir until it is fully melted.
- Stir in the vanilla and the fleur de sel (or sea salt flakes).
- Pour finished chocolate sauce into mason jars, seal and tie a tag on.
- Perfect gift.