Once you know how easy it is to make your own tartar sauce or with this easy spicy cajun tartar sauce recipe, you’ll never go back to store bought!
It is so simple to make your own homemade tartar sauce.
Once you’ve tried, you won’t want it any other way.
Being able to add or adjust the flavors to your tastes, is the best part!
Why we Love This Recipe
- The flavor of this tartar sauce is absolutely like nothing you’ve experienced with fish.
- The spice is completely adjustable, make it as spicy or mild as you and your family like it.
- This unique condiment is quite versatile and goes with many dishes and meals. Look below for some suggestions.
What’s in Spicy Cajun Tartar Sauce?
Knowing how to make a good spicy mayo is a complete game changer.
By making it homemade and storing it in the fridge, you can have infinite access to a favorite dipping sauce anytime you need some. (onion rings anyone?), and it’s great on fish tacos and even fresh baked salmon too.
It only requires a few simple ingredients:
- – we usually used Duke’s Mayonnaise in this recipe but Hellman’s is excellent as well. You want a flavorful mayonnaise with no sweet flavor.
- – avoid sweetened pickled relish – it adds a different flavor with the spice.
- dijon mustard – we prefer using dijon mustard. It brings out flavor and adds a little extra spice.
- minced onion – fresh minced onion is best, but if you don’t have any, it is possible to substitute onion powder if needed.
- seasonings – we primary use cajun seasoning is this, but have tried it a few ways. Our favorite seasoning to add the cajun spice, is Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning.
Super easy and they are staples that most people have.
What can I use this Homemade Tartar Sauce with?
This tartar sauce is fantastic with so many things!
Seafood is the first part of the answer. It goes great with any type of fish or shrimp – baked or fried.
But it is also fantastic with steamed veggies, dip french fries, dip onion rings, spooned into baked potatoes… there is a lot this sauce can go with!
It’s a great substitute on these fish tacos!
How do I store tartar sauce? How long will it last?
We store this Cajun Tartar Sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to about 1 week.
Also, it tastes better each day that the ingredients have to sit and marry together.
Can I freeze tartar sauce?
I wouldn’t recommend it. I have never found a mayonnaise based sauce that thaws correctly and hasn’t change consistency in the freeze.
Are you ready to whip up a batch of Spicy Cajun Tartar Sauce?
Your family and your delicious dinner will definitely thank you!
Also, be sure and make this incredible fried fish to go with it!
Spicy Cajun Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped onion
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients, and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.