Literally, the best blueberry pancakes recipe I’ve ever had. We took a classic, traditional blueberry pancake recipe and truly kicked it up a notch by swirling in fresh blueberry sauce and fresh blueberries and then taking it even further with a topping of more blueberry sauce and fresh blueberries. It’s kinda like blueberry pancakes on steroids. The best… The best blueberry pancakes ever!
In honor of the upcoming National Waffle Day (August 24) I am making pancakes. Yes, you read that right. Instead of a waffle recipe today, you are getting a pancake recipe. But don’t worry, on the actual National Waffle Day, I will give you a fantastic waffle recipe that day. But if you want a waffle recipe instead of the BEST Blueberry Pancakes, that’s okay too – check out these fun and creative recipes: Boston Cream Pie Waffles or these Easy Pumpkin Apple Cinnamon Roll Waffles!
But I’m moving on back to the best blueberry pancakes, because I can’t stop thinking about them.
For some reason, I really like fruit with my pancakes. And I’m a bit of a pancake girl anyway – like I could eat them several times a week and not just for breakfast. You can give me a bit platter of pancakes for dinner too and I’m perfectly okay with that. I had all of these garden fresh blueberries waiting for something to happen.
I’m not real sure what, but I wasn’t going to wait any longer when I decided to try my hand at taking one of my favorite pancake recipes, and adding these amazing plump blueberries and swirling in plenty of blueberry sauce. It really did wind up making the best blueberry pancakes my family has ever tried. Lots of mmm’s and moaning going on while eating and that’s often how I know I hit a home run with a recipe. Well, that and when I make tons of something and they consume ALL of it so no leftovers. That was the case here. haha
Are you ready to try the Best Blueberry Pancakes?
Best Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups real buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, chopped
- Fresh Blueberries, for garnish
Make up the Blueberry Sauce:
- In a small pot, combine the water, lemon juice, sugar, salt and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Add the fresh chopped blueberries and stir together. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Making the Pancakes:
- Lightly grease your griddle and preheat.
- In a large bowl, mix up the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract and butter. Mix until incorporated. Do NOT overmix. Batter will be thick, lumpy and kind of puffy. Gently stir in the 1/2 cup of chopped blueberries.
- Spoon the batter onto the griddle. Quickly scoop some blueberry sauce right into the center of the pancake and use a knife to swirl it around a little.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes per side or until pancakes are golden.
- Serve with more blueberry sauce on top and whole blueberries.