The incredibly delicious Strawberry Blueberry Stuffed Monkey Bread has a light lemon flavor and is stuffed on the inside with fruit! A delicious and elegant dessert! Serve with a side of whipped cream for a delicious treat!
This recipe came to us one afternoon when we had a plethora of Strawberries from the garden and we’d just picked up several pints of blueberries from a roadside stand (we’re growing blueberries but they aren’t quite ready yet – close.. but not yet).
My kids love to make monkey bread and we just combined the idea together with the berries and decided to wrap the berries in there with some cream cheese and well… this was born.
We decided it was sweet enough and so good all on it’s own, we didn’t want to ruin it with any icing or anything so we just left it as is. We did serve the slices with some fresh homemade whipped cream.
It’s ridiculously easy. Honestly. Just time consuming. But oh so worth every berry moment of it at the end. Trust me.
The light lemon flavor of the “cake” and the berry filled insides are just delicious together and we are pleased to tell you, this will be made again and again!
Why do they call it Monkey Bread?
Monkey bread is called monkey bread because it is a “finger food”. It is a pull apart bread (or bubble bread) that is usually soft, sweet and sticky, served mostly in the US as a treat or for breakfast.
Traditionally it was made with soft baked dough with cinnamon. It’s popular at carnivals, festivals, fairs and concerts.
They refer to it as Monkey Bread because it is picked apart and eaten, the way a monkey would pick something apart and eat it.
What do I need to make Monkey Bread?
- 3 cans of biscuits
- 1 cup of sugar
- zest of two lemons
- 1 cup of chopped strawberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
- berries and whipped cream for decorating, totally optional
More of the Best Summer Berry Recipes
Don’t forget to check out the other fabulous recipes in this week’s Summer Berries exchange! They are amazing!
- Angel Food French Toast with Blueberry Lemon Sauce
- Blueberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips
- Stove Top Berry Crumble
- Chocolate-Raspberry Yoghurt Cookies
- Strawberry-Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Parfaits
- Strawberries with Cannoli Cream
- Raspberry Mousse
- Blueberry Infused Vodka
- Goji Berry Martini
Recipe for Strawberry Blueberry Stuffed Monkey Bread
Strawberry Blueberry Stuffed Monkey Bread
- 18 biscuits
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 cups blueberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- berries and whipped cream for decorating totally optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a bundt cake pan with cooking spray or shortening. Don’t forget to grease the tube part too.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the lemon zest.
- Separate all the biscuits and then cut each biscuit circle in half.
- Press about a 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese into the center of each of the dough pieces. Add a blueberry or two and a few strawberry pieces.
- Fold the biscuit dough over the cream cheese and berries and seal as much as you can around the edges, containing the mixture inside.
- Roll each stuffed biscuit piece in the lemon sugar mixture.
- Place the sugar coasted pieces into the bundt pan until you’ve done them all.
- We had a little leftover lemon/sugar mixture and just kinda tossed it on top of all the little pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pan for only 10 minutes.
- To release the cake, run a knife around all the edges including the center of the pan. Gently place a plate up against the pan and turn the cake over onto the pan. We had to shake a couple of times to get it to come completely loose.
- Cool another 15 minutes or so before attempting to try some. Its hard, I know.
- You can cover and refrigerate any remaining “cake”.