So last week, I announced on my other blog, about my new job as a local brand ambassador to Wewalka. Please go see the post to learn more. But don’t just hop off and leave, I’ve got some fantastic ideas for a great weeknight meal, right here!
In the meantime, I wanted to share one of the recipes I have created with the Bistro Style dough plus six more great ideas for pizzas to keep your family fed for an entire week if you wanted.
Both the Bistro Style and Family style dough have endless possibilities. The Bistro style dough is the only refrigerated circle dough in the US. Cool eh?
The best part of BOTH types of Wewalka pizza dough, is that you can make any combination of deliciousness your family could want.
For our first pizza we wanted to keep it simple, so we went with Pepperoni, a Mild Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Fresh Basil, Chopped Fresh Garlic and a Homemade Pizza Sauce.
Wewalka Bistro-Style Pepperoni & Cheddar Pizza
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh finely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pkg. Wewalka refrigerated Bistro Style Pizza Dough
- 3-4 tablespoons of pizza sauce
- 15-20 pieces of pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or any cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
For Pizza Sauce:
In a large pan on the stove, combine the tomato sauce and the tomato paste over medium high heat. Toss in all the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine well. Bring the tomato sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiled, reduce heat, cover the sauce and allow to simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring often. Makes about 4 cups.
Open Wewalka refrigerated dough and carefully unroll the pizza. Do not remove dough from parchment paper. Keep the pizza on the parchment paper for a more even bake. Spread pizza sauce on dough, almost to edges. I sprinkled a fine layer of cheese on top of that, but it's not necessary. Sprinkle with chopped basil and garlic. Top with pepperoni and the rest of cheese.
Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes (or as directed on package)
One of my favorite things about Wewalka dough is that all dough comes on parchment paper. The parchment paper is included to aid in baking and should be left with dough and used for a more even bake for any of the dough you use. Do not remove the parchment paper before baking. Discard after use.
Looking for some more great ideas for pizzas? I’ve got SIX fantastic and mouth watering ideas to make meal planning your pizza night, easy peasy.
1. Fresh Herb Pizza – Take your pizza
a step, a jump, a huge leap beyond just a plain old cheese pizza. Try a fresh herb pizza. Unroll Wewalka pizza dough, top with olive oil, salt, chopped thyme, chopped fresh oregano and chopped fresh basil. Top everything with a handful of shredded mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°, then brush with more olive oil. We love this as a special date night pizza with a glass of white wine. Yum!
2. Cajun Shrimp Pizza – Unroll Wewalka pizza dough. Using either a pizza sauce, or an Alfredo sauce (our favorite), mix 1/4 cup of sauce with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. Spread the sauce over your pizza dough. In a pan on the stove, saute scallions and shrimp in olive oil; season with red pepper flakes. Spoon over pizza. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°.
3. Barbecue Chicken – Unroll Wewalka pizza dough, top with shredded cooked chicken, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, green onions and a cup shredded mild cheddar. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°. Tip: For meal planning purposes, throw chicken and bbq sauce in the crockpot and allow to simmer and cook. Use what you need for the pizza and save the rest for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches later in the week.
4. Bacon Cheeseburger – Eat your favorite burger in pizza form! Brown crumbled hamburger in a pan. Unroll Wewalka pizza dough and top with pizza sauce. Spread crumbled cooked hamburger on top, top with torn pieces of bacon (or whole strips if you’re adventurous). Sprinkle everything with your favorite shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes at 425°.
5. Ham and Brie – My favorite cheese is Brie, so I had to find a way to incorporate it with this delicious pizza dough. Unroll Wewalka pizza dough, and top with slices of ham. Top with thinly sliced brie cheese. Drizzle olive oil across pizza. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until brie is melted at 425°.
6. Fresh Veggie Pizza – This is the pizza I have pictured above. Unroll Wewalka pizza dough. In a small bowl, mix 4 ounces cream cheese and 1/2 cup sour cream until well blended. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil and 1 minced garlic clove. Spread cheese spread over Wewalka dough. Top with sliced bell pepper (we used red, yellow and orange), chopped asparagus, mushrooms and fresh mozzarella pearls. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes.
I received dough and compensation for the purposes of facilitating this post. As usual, any opinion expressed are 100% my own.
For more greatness from Wewalka: