Moist, rich and absolutely delicious, this Chocolate Rum Cake is good anytime, but is especially perfect for the holidays. Top with cranberry sauce, strawberry sauce or raspberry sauce to add more flavor!
I probably should have posted this closer to the holidays but here’s the thing – it’s chocolate – and rum – and I like it anytime of year.
I don’t wait for holidays to indulge in favorites! Moist and delicious! Good for holidays or anytime!
Why this Chocolate Rum Cake Recipe?
This is my favorite go to. It has just the right amount of rum to chocolate flavor. The crumb is soft and moist.
It’s a very easy cake to make, not difficult and it’s a recipe that has been around a VERY long time. And often those are the best!
In this case it definitely is!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- chocolate cake mix – yes this does start with a cake mix, but don’t turn your back on this recipe. It doesn’t taste like a cake mix when it’s done! If you wanted to change the flavors for the cake, you could use another box cake mix, but it would be a whole different recipe.
- instant chocolate pudding mix – the pudding mix makes the cake so moist and fluffy and full of rich chocolate flavor.
- vegetable oil – some people like substituting some apple sauce for some of the oil. You can do this here too, but it does change the flavor and texture a little.
- white rum – you can use any rum you wish, but we tested this one with white rum:
- butter – the butter is used for the glaze, you can use salted or unsalted. We’ve used both and have not noticed a difference in flavor. You should always use real butter when baking for best results.
- white granulated sugar – granulated not powdered.
Other fun recipes using rum
- Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries
- Chocolate Pumpkin Rum Cupcakes
- Cranberry Vanilla Rum Smoothie
- Pineapple Rum Coconut Fluff Salad
- Grilled Pineapple Ring Rum Sundae
Recipe for Best Chocolate Rum Cake
Do you have a recipe that many make only at the holidays but you make anytime?
Chocolate Rum Cake
- 1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
- 1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cups water
- ½ cups vegetable oil
- ½ cups white rum
For Rum Glaze:
- ½ cups butter
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cups white rum
- ¼ cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a Bundt cake pan.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix, instant pudding mix, eggs, oil, 1/2 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of rum for two minutes. Pour batter into a Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Can be made with or without Rum Glaze.
For Rum Glaze:
- In a saucepan combine the butter, sugar, 1/4 cup of rum, and 1/4 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour immediately over still warm cake while warm.
- Slice and enjoy!!