These Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries are fun to simply pop in your mouth and eat and make a great garnish in cocktails! Festive, delicious and totally poppable.
These bright red gems look beautiful in a glass bowl or cocktail glass on your holiday table.
Why You’ll Love These Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries
With the tangy, tart but oh so deliciously sweet flavor, these sugared cranberries are incredible.
What To Serve with Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries
- They are absolutely fabulous on a holiday brunch spread.
- Sugared Cranberries look beautiful on a charcuterie board or a tablescape.
- They go great with pancakes, waffles, french toast and so much more.
- Sprinkle over vanilla ice cream or blend into ice cream for a flavor explosion in a milkshake!
- They make a great cake garnish, or blend into a sauce to pour over the cake slices when serving.
- And they are fabulous popped into a cocktail or glass of wine or champagne, or simple used as a garnish. Skewer them or simply drop them inside.
Make Ahead, Storage and Freezing Tips
Make Ahead – These are a favorite to make just before the holidays. We do make them up ahead of time.
Storage – They store pretty well in the refrigerator for about a week or two in an airtight container. They will store longer than that, but might get softer as time goes by. At this point, you can blend them to make syrup or a sauce. Do not keep them any longer than 2 weeks.
Freezing – They store well in the freezer but can get a little softer upon thawing. Store them in a ziptop freezer safe baggie or an airtight freezer safe container. We store them in zip top bags in smaller batches so we can thaw what we need.
We always have a big bowl available at holiday time, but I make extras so we can use them with our desserts and drinks.
The little berries remind me of candy and are simply delicious. A perfect holiday treat.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, whip up a couple of cups and just imagine what you can do with them. So much fun and incredibly festive.
But if you’re still not sure what to use them in, here are a few cocktails they pair wonderfully with!
Cocktail Ideas to Serve with These Sugared Cranberries
If you make our recipe, please let us know! Tell us in the comments or you can take a photo and share it, tagging us on instagram, facebook or twitter with #dailydishrecipes. We love seeing your creations!
Printable Recipe for Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries
Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries
- 1 cup clear rum
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Bring clear rum and vanilla extract and 1 cup of sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Boil until sugar completed dissolves, about 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for ten minutes. Pour the cranberries into the pan and allow to cool completely (at least an hour).
- Once cranberries are cool, transfer the cranberries and liquid to a sealed container and refrigerate for 1 day. 24 hours is best.
- The following day, spread a cup and a half of sugar out on a large pan. Drain the cranberries. Its best to allow them to sit for 5-10 minutes to drain but don’t go longer. They will dry and the sugar won’t stick.
- Toss a few cranberries at a time into the sugar, rolling and coating well. Place the sugar-coated cranberries on a baking sheet and allow to dry for at least an hour before serving.
- These Vanilla Rum Sugared Cranberries keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container. After that they begin to get very soft. Great for sauce at that point.