Cheesy, creamy restaurant-style creamed spinach is the perfect side dish with almost any meal. Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach is a crowd pleasing recipe that’s popular with everyone anytime of year.
This Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach is savory, creamy and ridiculously good!
a favorite side dish recipe!
- This is easily one of my favorite side dish recipes, and not just on Thanksgiving or Christmas but any time of the year. We love to pair it with chicken, steak and even pork ribs!
- This recipe is made with frozen spinach which we have on hand always, but could totally be made with fresh spinach that has been cooked down and wilted.
- This recipe is the one everyone asks for anytime I bring it to a holiday meal!
- Even if you’re not the biggest spinach fan, this Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach appeals to children and adults, full of flavor and compliments any meal.
What you’ll need to make Creamed Spinach
spinach – this recipe calls for frozen spinach, but you could cook down fresh spinach to make this recipe.
butter – we opt for unsalted butter, but if you have salted butter, go ahead and use that. Just watch how much salt you add later.
onion – we typically use a white or yellow onion.
garlic cloves – if you don’t have any garlic cloves, you can substitute with garlic powder. Use 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder in place of the garlic cloves.
ground pepper – you can use more or less if you like.
nutmeg – if you can’t use nutmeg because you don’t have any, you can substitute with ground cloves or all-spice.
salt – this is really optional. If you want to leave it out, and allow individuals to salt their own dish, it will be fine.
all-purpose flour – there’s not really a substitute for this
half and half – if you don’t have half and half, you can substitute milk in a pinch, but I don’t recommend for the maximum flavor and best consistency.
shredded Provolone or Mozzarella cheese – it’s best to shred your own, but you can buy it pre-shredded.
cream cheese – you can use full-fat or lite or no-fat cream cheese, if desired.
additions – this is fantastic with chopped cooked bacon, grilled mushrooms, or diced tomatoes. Just add 1 cup of any of the ingredient of your choice, if desired.
How to Store Creamed Spinach
- Serving: Do not leave this dish at room temperature for more than 1 hour.
- Store: Creamed Spinach is best stored covered in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: This dish can be frozen for up to 3 months. The day before you are ready to serve it, simply defrost in the refrigerator.
- Reheating: You can reheat this dish in the microwave in 1 minute increments, stirring between until hot. If you want to reheat in the oven, bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Remove and stir and check it’s heated through.
More Holiday Dish Recipes
Take a look at all of these fabulous Holiday Dish Recipes. You’re sure to find something to add to you holiday menu. Enjoy!
- Cranberry Ambrosia Salad
- Easy Homemade Stovetop Stuffing
- Parmesan Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
- World’s Best Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- Moist Sweet Cornbread
- Easy Garlic Herb Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
Don’t they all just sound amazing?
Did You Make This Recipe?
We would love to hear how it turned out! Please let us know by leaving us a comment or reviewing the recipe below. Or if you’re on social media, snap a photo and share it on Instagram and tag me @dailydishrecipes or #dailydishrecipes.
Recipe for Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach
Easy Cheesy Creamed Spinach
- 1 lb. frozen spinach thawed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 teaspoons salt to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded provolone or Mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Thaw spinach. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter with the minced onion and garlic. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add in nutmeg, black pepper and salt.
- Mix in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add half and half and cook until mixture is boiling.
- Add in shredded provolone and cream cheese and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring very often; mixture will thicken.
- Stir in the spinach and stir until combined. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from stove and serve.