A different twist on Green Bean Casserole, this Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Casserole is cheesy, savory and delicious – it’s our most requested Thanksgiving and potluck recipes dish!
Classic Green Bean Casserole has been a staple in our home for years. But there comes a time when you need a change and you want to make something special.
A few years ago, we began playing around with our Holiday Green Bean Casserole recipe.
We love this Twisted Bacon Green Bean Casserole recipe. But we wanted to take it even further.
Why not take the classic ingredients we found at Walmart, and add a few more special ingredients to increase the flavor and uniqueness of the recipe?
While this time we included the bacon again, because everything tastes better with bacon, we decreased the amount of bacon a bit.
We added a garlicky, creamy Gouda cheese sauce which we blended into the Cream of Mushroom soup to make a wonderfully creamy sauce that coats the green beans and bakes right in.
We also sauteed some sliced Portabella Mushrooms in garlic butter and added them to the casserole. A small amount of chopped onion was added for even more flavor.
Let’s make Gouda, Bacon & Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
If you’re looking for a fun and unique way to serve your Green Bean Casserole, I have a twist on presentation in this post. (link coming soon)
Do you have a fun and unique twist on a classic holiday recipes? Please tell me about it in the comments below.
Next time you’re in Walmart, go look at the screens by the green bean casserole display at the end of the aisle.
Walmart is picking the best of the ideas given by people like you and me to show right there in the store! If you see mine, let me know with a post or a tweet! Make sure to go to thisismytwist.com to see everyone’s suggested twists!
I want to know what you think about Green Bean Casserole! If you take the 10 Minute Survey you will be receiving a $5 Walmart gift card if you are one of the first 100 people that fully completes the survey (U.S. citizens only, must be 18 years or older to participate).
This post is a sponsored post. All images, text and opinions are my own.
Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
- 3 strips of bacon chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 ½ cups shredded Gouda cheese divided
- 1 cup portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 can 10½ ounces Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup milk
- 4 cans Del Monte® Savory Green Beans with Mushrooms
- ⅓ cup French's® Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry up the bacon until almost done. Drain on paper towels, and set aside.
- In a skillet on the stove, melt butter over medium high heat. Toss in the garlic and mushrooms and stir to evenly coat the mushrooms with the butter. The mushrooms should be sizzling - cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toss the chopped onions into the same skillet and cook until almost translucent.
- In small sauce pan on the stove, heat the Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup over medium heat. Once hot, stir in 1 cup of shredded Gouda cheese until melted. Stir in the milk.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom mixture, the bacon, the onion and the mushrooms. Add the Del Monte® Savory Green Beans with Mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle ½ cup of Gouda cheese and the French's® French Fried Onions on top.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes until the Gouda cheese is melted.