A different twist on Green Bean Casserole, this Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole is cheesy, savory and delicious – it’s our most requested Thanksgiving and potluck recipes dish!
- Why you’ll love this Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Gouda Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole Summary
- What do you need to make this casserole?
- Substitutions and Additions
- Printable Recipe for Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
- Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Classic Green Bean Casserole has been a staple in our home for years. But there comes a time when you need a change and you want to make something special.
That’s when we created this Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole, as well as this Twisted Bacon Green Bean Casserole recipe.
Why you’ll love this Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Green bean casserole is a classic staple for Thanksgiving, but isn’t it more fun to change it up a bit and allow your family a whole new flavor profile.
- This recipe is actually pretty easy and tastes like it took all day.
- It’s the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any holiday.
- Beyond the holiday’s this makes a perfectly elegant side dish recipe for a dinner party or even just a nice family dinner. Enjoy it anytime of year!
Gouda Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole Summary
The recipe starts off with the classic green bean casserole ingredients – crispy onions, cream of mushroom soup and of course, green beans.
But we take it a whole step further.
First, we added bacon. Not too much, not too little. It brings a rich, savory flavor you don’t get form the traditional recipe.
We added a garlicky, creamy Gouda cheese sauce which we blended into the Cream of Mushroom soup to make a wonderfully creamy sauce that coats the green beans and bakes right in.
We also sauteed some sliced Portabella Mushrooms in garlic butter and added them to the casserole. A small amount of chopped onion was added for even more flavor.
What do you need to make this casserole?
- portabella mushrooms
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Green Beans with Mushrooms
- Fried Onions
Substitutions and Additions
- Herbs – Add some rosemary or thyme or any other herb to your casserole to kick it up even more.
- Black Olives – a fun addition for even more flavor.
- Cheese – If you aren’t a fan of Gouda, you could change out the cheese for a sharp cheddar or for a spicier version – pepper jack is incredible!
- Make it Spicy – If you’re on a spicy kick, add red pepper flakes, jalapenos or chile’s of any kind.
- Bacon – instead of bacon, add prosciutto or ham.
What would you add to make this recipe your own?
Printable Recipe for Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Gouda, Bacon and Portabella Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
- 3 strips of bacon chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 ½ cups shredded Gouda cheese divided
- 1 cup portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 can 10½ ounces Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup milk
- 4 cans Del Monte® Savory Green Beans with Mushrooms
- ⅓ cup French’s® Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry up the bacon until almost done. Drain on paper towels, and set aside.
- In a skillet on the stove, melt butter over medium high heat. Toss in the garlic and mushrooms and stir to evenly coat the mushrooms with the butter. The mushrooms should be sizzling – cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toss the chopped onions into the same skillet and cook until almost translucent.
- In small sauce pan on the stove, heat the Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup over medium heat. Once hot, stir in 1 cup of shredded Gouda cheese until melted. Stir in the milk.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom mixture, the bacon, the onion and the mushrooms. Add the Del Monte® Savory Green Beans with Mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Spoon mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle ½ cup of Gouda cheese and the French’s® French Fried Onions on top.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes until the Gouda cheese is melted.