This huge list of pizza topping ideas will get you into the kitchen and getting creative with your homemade pizza.
Everyone has a pizza they know and love. Whether it’s your favorite pizza from a restaurant or take out, or it’s the pizza toppings, we have a certain way we love our pizza.
But sometimes you just want to change it up and get creative or try something new.
This extensive list of pizza topping ideas and fun pizza combinations will get you whipping up some delicious pizza right in your kitchen.
And if you love pizza as much as we do, try some of our favorite pizza recipes for anything from pizza to individual pizzas, pizza pasta, pizza inspired casseroles and even dessert pizza.
- Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Cassserole
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe
- Grilled Veggie Portabella Pizzas
- Garden Vegetable Alfredo Pizza
- Grilled Pizza Sandwiches
- Bistro Style Pepperoni and Cheddar Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Roll Ups
- Ciabatta Bread Bacon Pizza
- Easy Pizza Pasta
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls
- S’mores Flatbread Pizza
So now that we’ve checked out the pizza inspired recipes, let’s go ahead and get to those incredible delicious pizza topping ideas.
Pizza Sauce Ideas
From traditional pizza sauce to marinara sauce and everything in between. Get creative and try what you love!
- pizza sauce
- marinara sauce
- alfredo sauce
- garlic butter
- white gravy
- sausage gravy (great for breakfast pizza)
- garlic white pizza sauce
- pesto sauce
- ranch dressing
- sour cream
- olive oil and garlic
- taco sauce
- chili sauce
- salad dressing
- cream soups
- BBQ sauce
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Mole Sauce
Besides sauces, you can start your pizza with toppings instead. Try smashed beans, garlic butter, pico de gallo, etc. The way you top your pizza should be a personal choice and it all starts with the sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions about Pizza Sauce Ideas
Can You Use Pasta Sauce for Pizza?
Yes you absolutely can! Try to use a thicker pasta sauce so your crust doesn’t get soggy. You can also just spread a much thinner layer.
Can you use Salad Dressing for Pizza?
Yes, but this is a little trickier. If your salad dressing is really thin and runny, you may need to thicken it a bit with a cornstarch slurry. It’s relatively easy, but it is an extra step.
- To make a cornstarch slurry, you will need a 1:1 ratio of cornstarch to liquid. For example, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water, milk or other liquid.
- You will then need to heat the mixture over a low heat until the cornstarch basically absorbs most of the water and you get a thick paste.
- You will then need to add this paste to your thin salad dressing and mix it well until the dressing thickens.
- Note: 1 tablespoon of cornstarch slurry, thickens 1 cup of dressing. You will not need 1 cup of dressing for a pizza, so consider saving in an air tight sealed jar in the kitchen for later use.
Whatever sauce you use, get creative and make it delicious!
Next we move onto our cheeses, and for many lots and lots of cheese is essential.
Pizza Cheese Toppings:
Whether you enjoy shredded cheeses for better coverage or you simply slice cheese and arrange the pieces around your pizza, there are a lot of different cheeses that will elevate your pizza. The key focus on any cheese you add to a pizza, is meltability. Not all cheese melt well, but here are some that do!
- shredded mozzarella
- shredded pepper jack
- shredded cheddar
- sprinkled parmesan (best over the entire finished pizza or mixed in with other cheeses)
- sliced or shredded fontina
- sliced gouda
- shredded or sliced provolone
- shredded or sliced swiss
Obviously you can use whatever cheese you love, we just focused primarily on cheeses that were easy to melt and go well on pizza.
I also strongly urge you to shred your own cheese. Yes, it’s easy to pick up a bag of shredded cheese and we do frequently. But there is no better flavor or melting factor than freshly shredded cheese!
Pizza Topping Ideas
Finally, the main focus of any pizza. The actual toppings. And there are a lot of different ideas for what can go on a pizza, and what cannot. Basically we are going to give you a comprehensive list of pizza toppings we know that people know and love.
- pepperoni slices
- ground sausage
- crumbled or sliced bacon
- canadian bacon
- sliced chicken breast
- pulled pork
- sliced hot dogs or brats
- sliced steak
- shredded turkey
- sea scallops
- sliced bell peppers
- shredded lettuce
- black olives
- red onion
- sweet onion
- chopped green onion
- french fried onions
- spicy peppers – jalapeno, ghost pepper, serrano, etc.
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- roasted red pepper
- sliced dill pickle
- sliced sweet pickle
- sun dried tomatoes
- shredded brussels sprouts
- sliced or sauteed mushrooms
- banana peppers
- pineapple tidbits
- bean sprouts
- fresh basil
- chopped Italian herbs
- fresh cilantro
Dessert Pizza Topping Ideas
- marshmallow fluff
- chocolate chips
- chopped or chunked chocolate (like hersey bars)
- chocolate sauce (great as a drizzle)
- caramel sauce (great as a drizzle)
- cinnamon sugar butter
- crushed cookies (snickerdoodle, oreos, vanilla wafers)
- crumbled graham crackers
- pie fillings – blueberry, cherry apple
- streusel toppings