Decadent, yet incredibly Easy Pistachio Cupcakes with Pistachio Frosting uses a cake mix as a short cut and super easy not too sweet frosting recipe that tastes amazing! They are a big hit at a BBQ!
We adore pistachio cupcakes and while I often make them completely from scratch. Except when I need to whip up a large batch for a potluck or BBQ I tend to lean towards easy.
Using a box cake mix doesn’t exactly make them completely homemade, but a semi homemade cupcake recipe is perfect.
I did opt for a mostly from scratch frosting for the topping. And then just topped the cupcakes with marshmallows and coconut because it goes so well with the pistachio flavor.
Pudding Frosting Without Cool Whip
I also really wanted a cupcake frosting I could make without cool whip. No whipped cream for me, mostly for stability purposes.
It was important to me that these cupcakes could be served in my backyard without totally melting from the moment they hit the heat.
This pudding frosting without cool whip totally fit the bill!
This frosting is actually not too sweet which makes it one of my favorites to top almost any cupcake. Just change up the pudding mix you use and obviously the possibilities are endless.
How do I store cupcakes with buttercream frosting?
Because this recipe calls for cream, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
However, pull the cupcakes out about 10-15 minutes before serving and you will still have a super smooth, very silky frosting that is perfect.
If you take them out into the heat, they need to be served immediately. Butter does melt when it gets hot, so obviously a buttercream frosting is going to melt.
Keep this in mind. Refrigerating them will not make the frosting gritty or hard on the outside if you allow them to come to room temp for abut 15 minutes.
You could also pretty much serve them from the fridge to the hot backyard and do pretty well too.
Other than that, these are simple, taste absolutely amazing and are quite popular at any event we have ever brought them too. They totally taste homemade.
Trust me, nobody ever knows.
If you decide you want to top these delicious little bites of goodness with something, there are endless ideas.
- crushed pistachios
- white chocolate shavings
- candy or chocolate chips
With this week being #BBQWeek, there is no shortage of amazing ideas for your next BBQ. Follow the hashtag and you are sure to find a recipe for a BBQ that will fit your event.
Here is what we are all sharing today!
- Asian Inspired Short Rib Burger by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Best Margarita Recipe by Family Around the Table
- Easy Pistachio Cupcakes with Pistachio Frosting by Daily Dish Recipes
- Grilled Doughnuts with Strawberry Basil Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Hawaiian Chicken Sliders by The Beard and The Baker
- Key Lime Pie Mojitos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Curd Frozen Custard by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pimm’s Cup Cocktail by Caroline’s Cooking
- Smoked BBQ Pork Steaks by Our Good Life
- Ridiculously Good Dry Rub for Ribs by Food Above Gold
- Sugar Cone Chocolate Chip Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Tuscan Style Tuna Steaks by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Easy Pistachio Cupcakes with Pistachio Frosting
For the Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- All Required Ingredients for Cake Mix eggs, oil, water, etc.
- 1 3.4 ounce pistachio pudding mix
For the Frosting:
- 1 3.4 ounce pistachio pudding mix
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, mix the white cake mix, pistachio pudding and required ingredients according to cake mix box.1 box white cake mix, 1 3.4 ounce pistachio pudding mix, All Required Ingredients for Cake Mix
- Fill cupcake liners about 1/2-3/4 full of batter.
- Bake as directed on cake mix packaging. Remove and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth.2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- On low speed, add the pudding mix and salt and beat until blended.1 3.4 ounce pistachio pudding mix, 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Slowly add the cream, just a little at a time. Once it’s all blended, turn your mixer up to high and beat it all for 3-5 minutes. Turn it off.3/4 cup heavy cream
- Add the powdered sugar and turn it back to high and beat for 3-5 minutes to be sure everything is incorporated fully and no grittiness from powdered sugar or pudding mix remains. Add the vanilla and beat again for about a minute or two.3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe as desired.
- Decorate the top with whatever you want. We went with shredded coconut and mini marshmallows.
- If you want your frosting a little thinner, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream until you get it to the required consistency.
- If you want your frosting a little sweeter, add a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar until you have it the way you prefer it.
- Store these cupcakes in the refrigerator due to the cream used. When ready to serve, simply remove from the refrigerator about 15-20 minutes beforehand. If serving outside in the heat or hot sun, fridge to table will work fine.