It’s been a few weeks since I was able to participate in a Sunday Supper event, and I am thrilled to be back for such a special one. I chose Rum Rolls in honor of my mom, the reason for which I will talk about more in a second.
As a mom myself, I appreciate the job my mother has done raising me, and honestly even as a 40 years old adult, I can say she isn’t done yet. haha Guess I still have a long time to go raising my own five teenagers. Yes?
I chose Rum Rolls for today’s Sunday Supper event because there is no other recipe, no other food item that makes me think of my mother more than Rum Rolls. As a child, I can remember her bringing them home from our favorite bakery. They were such a special treat. Sometimes she would buy extras and freeze them and I can tell you right now, as a small child, there was more than once I opened up a frozen package and attempted to eat a frozen Rum Roll. Yes, I did that, mom. Probably not a huge surprise. I’m pretty sure at times I confiscated a whole package of them from the bakery and called them my own. I can honestly say, Rum Rolls might have been my favorite food as a child. Truly.
Still, all these years later, that bakery is still standing and still serving delicious Rum Rolls. Sadly, the recipe has changed over time and while they are still delicious, they are not as perfect as they were when I was small.
Because the bakery is nowhere near my house, to get my fix of Rum Rolls on occasion, I needed to find a recipe. While these are not exact to the bakery we bought them from, they are close enough and every time I make them, I think of my mom. I don’t know if that will ever stop.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom’s out there. You are all amazing and have a tough job no matter if you have one child or you have five teenagers (or more!). Also you pet mommy’s, you count too. They are like our children as well, as anyone who has a pet will attest to. So to everyone, Happy Mother’s Day! (most importantly to my mom… I love you. Thanks for always supporting me even when you don’t always agree. Also thanks for making me see things in a different light sometimes. I love you!)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons of dry instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons. warm milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1½ T. milk or cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp. rum flavoring
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook, combine all of the dough ingredients.
- Mix for 20 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Spray the inside of a bowl with cooking spray, place the dough inside, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Roll out into a large rectangle.
- Brush the melted butter over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- Roll the rectangle of dough up and cut into 12 equal sized pinwheels.
- Place each of the 12 pinwheels into a greased muffin pan.
- Cover the pan and let the rolls rise until they have doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Cover the pan with tinfoil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for about 5-7 minutes or until they are golden on top.
- While they are baking, prepare the Rum Roll Glaze.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar and milk/cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar and rum flavoring. Stir until smooth.
- Brush the Rum Glaze over the Hot Rolls fresh from the oven, reserving some.
- Once the rolls have had time to cool a bit (about 10 minutes), drizzle on the rest of the rum glaze.
- Enjoy hot or at room temp.
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.