When you read this, it will be the 2nd day of March. How in the world are we already in March 2015? My year is already speeding ahead. It’s crazy!
This month I was assigned Kitchen Trial and Error written by Kate! Kate’s blog is a blast. She has so many yummy recipes and I loved reading about each one. Her recipe index is extensive and it made it very difficult to choose just one thing to make. On our Savory short list was: Gruyere Risotto, Cilantro Lime Rice or Papardelle with Mushrooms and on the Sweet Short List was: Strawberry Rolls, Gingerbread Waffles (because Gingerbread… Waffles. No I don’t care that it’s not Christmas anymore!), Slab Pie and this decadent Dr. Pepper Cake. Ultimately we decided to go with the Dr. Pepper Cake because
1. I wanted something chocolaty. This scores big time.
2. I wanted something easy, because this month found me with so much on my plate. Bingo, this fit.
3. I had Dr. Pepper already in the house along with the rest of the ingredients so making it on a whim one afternoon was easy peasy.
Dr Pepper Cake
I have had and made Dr. Pepper cake dozens of times and each recipe is slightly different than the last. For some reason it always tastes a little different to me each time too, and I have no idea why. This time all I could taste was rich, chocolate flavor and it was gooooood. It was really good.
When you want a chocolate fix, this cake is perfect. Kate, thank you for such a fun recipes and flashback. I really loved your version, not nearly as sweet as others I have had. I haven’t made one in a very long time so this was a lot of fun and I remember how great they are. Also a great cake to serve to guests.
Dr Pepper Cake
for the cake
- 1 1/2 cup Dr. Pepper soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Chocolate Topping
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- preheat oven to 350F and grease a 13x9 baking pan.
- combine the dr pepper, oil, butter, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat. bring to a simmer, mix well, and remove from heat.
- add sugar, flour, and baking soda to the pan and mix well.
- in a separate bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk together. add a small amount of the hot batter to the egg mixture (a couple tablespoons) and mix well. then add the egg mixture to the batter and mix well.
- pour into greased pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- while the cake is cooling, make the glaze.
- combine the butter, cocoa powder, and milk together in a saucepan over medium heat.
- when the butter is melted and the mixture is combined, whisk in the sugar, ½ cup at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.
- pour over the warm cake.