Enjoy a slice of Dutch Apple Coffee Cake with your coffee or tea, as a mid-morning break or a wonderful irresistible bite after a wonderful Fall meal.
This Dutch Apple Coffee Cake is one of my favorite Fall cakes to make.
It’s easy, reminds me easily of Fall, and goes great with my morning coffee.
When I was planning my recipes for Apple Week, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make at all.
When Swiss Diamond offered to send me this awesome Cast Iron Shallow Casserole, I knew that I was going to make this cake and I knew that this beautiful dish was what I would use for this cake.
It’s so pretty, versatile and works great for recipes like this!
Now this dish is HUGE. It hold’s SO much food.
We have used it for several dinners, it works great for any meal we tried.
But I was excited to use it for This Dutch Apple Coffee cake and see how it did.
First thing was first, I had to double the recipe to ensure that it fit. But I’m SO glad I did. It baked up beautifully, was super moist, soft and full of apple and cinnamon flavor.
Second, I had to decide whether I wanted to cover the cake with the casserole lid or not. In the long run, I decided to, since that was the point of using the dish. It was perfect!
I tried to remember where we got the recipe for this Dutch Apple Coffee Cake. It’s been in a box my grandmother gave me, but written in my mother’s handwriting.
A lot of my mother’s recipes came from those school/church cookbooks that were popular back in the 70’s and 80’s. Sure enough, I found the original recipe in a cookbook I still have from elementary school.
Over the years I have tweaked it a bit, but it’s still the same delicious apple flavor, same great spiced goodness and just a great way to enjoy a Fall dessert.
So this week we are going to inundate you with wonderful apple recipes.
All brought to you with some of the best sponsors. There are prizes to be won, and delicious food and recipes to check out.
This Dutch Apple Coffee Cake is just the start.
More Apple Recipes
- Apple & Lentil Andouille Crockpot Stew
- Apples and Chai Smoothie
- Apple Cider Pancakes
- Apple Crisp Ebelskivers
- Appledoodle Cookies
- Applesauce Coffee Cake
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples
- Bourbon Apple Pecan Bread Pudding
- Caramel Apple Crumb Cake
- Caramel Apple Jam
- Chicken Salad Apple Bites
- Dutch Apple Cobbler with Cheesecake Topping
- Oven Roasted Apple Butter
- Salted Caramel Apple Crumble
Printable Recipe for Dutch Apple Coffee Cake
Dutch Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 apples peeled, cored and sliced into eights
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until blended.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk until incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly in a cake pan, loaf pan, or casserole dish.
- Place your sliced apples around the top of the cake pushing the apple into the batter just a bit.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar and the other teaspoon of apple pie spice over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.