Everyone has recipes that become a jumping off point for other things. This is the one I use a lot if I am craving a sour cream muffin or want to use one as the basics for something else. This recipe has been tweaked several times and one of the results is the Lemon Sour Cream Muffins.
This is my go-to recipe for a basic sour cream muffin. It’s wonderful with add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, spices or berries.
Basic Sour Cream Muffin Recipe
Everyone needs a good, basic sour cream muffin recipe either to enjoy as is, or to tweak and add to. This one is mine. Moist, fluffy muffins.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 large eggs (or 8 egg whites + 4 tsp. oil)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c. sour cream
- 2 3/4 c/ all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of add-ins (chocolate chips, any berries, raisins, nuts, etc.)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about a minute. Next, beat in the vanilla, eggs, salt and baking soda.
- Next, fold in the sour cream.
- Now fold in the flour and any of the add-ins that you have chosen.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and allow to completely cool on wire rack. Makes 24 muffins.