Delicate, soft and moist, these Lemon Sour Cream Muffins are absolutely delicious. Great with a morning cup of coffee or an afternoon treat.
This is my first time participating in the Improv challenge, mostly because I could not commit during the holidays.
This month’s Improv challenged us to use sour cream and lemons.
So I started with this Basic Sour Cream Muffin recipe because its one of our favorites and I really wanted to keep it simple.
I went back and forth between adding lemon zest to the muffin batter and actually decided against it, only because I said I wanted to keep it simple.
So instead I create a quick lemon glaze to drizzle over the top.
I also decided to give the muffins a little more oomph with some simple lemon extract, of course you could use lemon zest instead.
Lemon Sour Cream Muffins Recipe
Lemon Sour Cream Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 large eggs or 8 egg whites + 4 tsp. oil
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cups sour cream
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about a minute. Next, beat in the lemon extract, eggs, salt and baking soda.
- Next, fold in the sour cream and then the flour.
- Scoop the batter into muffin cups. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and place on wire rack. In a bowl, combine the powdered sugar and the lemon juice to create the muffin glaze; drizzle over muffins. Serve warm.