This easy basic sour cream muffin recipe is delicious on it’s own, but is a jumping off point for all kinds of fun muffins.
I believe everyone should have an arsenal of basic recipes that become jumping off points for other more advanced recipes.
I love this basic sour cream muffin recipe for exactly that reason.
I can change it up and do what I want to it to get a whole slew of different recipes from one basic muffin recipe.
While this recipe is delicious all on its own, especially with butter, jelly or honey; it’s a great recipe to add to and make into your own delicious recipe.
Can I add an ingredient to this basic sour cream muffin recipe?
Yes! Of course you can! I have tweaked this recipe several times and made all kinds of different muffins with it.
One of our absolute favorites is these Lemon Sour Cream Muffins.
However, you can add chocolate chips, nuts, fruits, spices and herbs to make it completely your own.
I also really love making it into a more savory recipe by reducing the sugar a bit and adding some fresh herbs for great flavor.
This is easily my favorite go-to recipe for a basic sour cream muffin.
It’s has a deliciously moist, soft crumb and is super easy to whip up.
Can I freeze muffins?
Usually a muffin can be frozen without any issue.
This recipe is super easy to freeze, and still retains its flavor and freshness when reheated.
When you want one, simply pop one into the microwave wrapped in a loose paper towel for about 1 minute.
Microwave temperatures may very slightly, so adjust accordingly.
Are you ready to have some fun with this Basic Sour Cream Muffin Recipe?
Basic Sour Cream Muffin Recipe
- 1 stick 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs OR 8 egg whites + 4 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of add-ins chocolate chips, any berries, raisins, nuts, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about a minute. Next, beat in the vanilla, eggs, salt and baking soda.
- Next, fold in the sour cream.
- Now fold in the flour and any of the add-ins that you have chosen.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and allow to completely cool on wire rack. Makes 24 muffins.