It’s the final day of #PumpkinWeek and I’m sad to see it end. We are ending our week with our favorite Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread. I had trouble coming up with a name for this one, because it’s technically pumpkin bread, but with bananas, but there wasn’t a way to convey that which sounded good. So we went with this.
So why Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread?
We love pumpkin so much at our house, we don’t care if it’s savory or sweet. We could eat it all year. (we kinda do since I am recipe developing all year – ha!) This Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread is a favorite with all of us – and was actually born as an accident a few years back. This is the first year I’ve made it for my grandson who literally ate slice after slice. So, definitely a happy accident.
So what happened to make it Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread?
Well, that’s a funny story actually – several years back I was making a bunch of loaves of bread to give to a family who had just experienced a tragic incident. I had four bowls, all with different batter in them. I had my younger kids with me, and they were helping as much as possible. While I was inserting a toothpick to check for doneness on one loaf, my kids were adding the last bit of ingredients to two different bowls. One was chopped banana – which was supposed to go in the banana bread, and one was mini chocolate chips which was supposed to go in the pumpkin bread. As I’m sure you’ve figured out by now, they messed up and switched them. Ironically I didn’t even notice (or rather I was so busy I just didn’t see the error) until the pumpkin bread (with banana) came out of the oven. I was so upset, I went to baking a whole other batch of bread without even trying it first. I should have, because once that “mistake” loaf had cooled and the other “correct” loaf had been baked – we finally tried a slice and I was in heaven. OMG! It was literally delicious. So we have been doing it ever since. I like pumpkin bread so much that I have tons of different ways we make it, but this Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread is in the top 3 favorites. I think you’ll see why when you try it.
I want to thank Terri from Love and Confections for hosting such a fantastic event with so many amazing recipes. My list of “to try” pumpkin recipes has grown just this week! So many talented bloggers participated with such decadent and delicious recipes!
Are you ready to make Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread?
Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15oz) can of pumpkin puree
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease two loaf pans.
- Combine all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin spice in a bowl; whisk to combine well, set aside.
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, on medium, beat the butter and sugar just until blended.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- On low, beat in the flour/spice mixture until well combined.
- Fold the banana in gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pans, dividing evenly, and bake for 65 – 75 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Cool the rest of the way on wire rack.
Here are today’s #PumpkinWeek recipes:
Pumpkin Drink Recipes:
Savory Pumpkin Recipes:
Pumpkin Chili from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Crab Soup from Hardly A Goddess.
Pumpkin Pasta from Caroline’s Cooking.
Thai Pumpkin Curry from Palatable Pastime.
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes:
Fall Harvest Pumpkin Sourdough Muffins from Cooking With Carlee.
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake from Family Around The Table.
Pumpkin Pie Cream Horns from Mildly Meandering.