Buttery dough, savory garlic mushrooms and melted brie cheese make these Portabella Mushroom and Brie Brunch Bites a must have for any occasion! A great little appetizer for brunch!
Welcome KMOV Great Day St. Louis viewers!
You must have seen these delicious Wewalka Puff Pastry Dough Mushroom and Brie Brunch Bites recently featured on KMOV’s Great Day St. Louis.
But in case you didn’t and you’re just stumbling across the recipe, here they are and here are a few of the finer points I went over in the segment plus the appetizer recipe I featured!
Oh, and just a note, these are not just for Easter. You can make these anytime for a great snack, appetizer for girl’s night or whenever you feel like it!
- Wewalka is pronounced “Vee-Valka”. It is an Austrian based company that has just launched four dough products here in the United States. More specifically, they have launched these four dough products at Schnucks locations throughout the Metro St. Louis area. 77 Schnucks stores. Does your Schnucks have it?
- If your Schnucks does not have it, or you live in an area without a Schnucks store, you can tell Wewalka you want it!
- The four dough products that have been launched in the U.S. include a Puff Pastry Dough, a Croissant Dough, a Bistro Style (round) Pizza Dough and a Family Style (rectangle) dough.
- Airy & Flakey Croissant Dough – Wewalka is the first true croissant dough available in the United States. Made with 36 layers of very fine, yeast dough and a hint of real vanilla, Wewalka croissants can be stuffed with sweet or savory fillings, or served by themselves as a perfect side to any meal.
- Authentic Puff Pastry Dough – Wewalka Puff Pastry dough is created with 64 layers of thin, delicate dough that have been brushed with butter and then rolled onto parchment paper. Use directly from the refrigerator (no thawing required) to bake up exceptionally airy and flaky pastries that are perfect for sweet and savory recipes.
- Bistro-Style Pizza Dough – Quickly and easily bake up real trattoria style pizzas. With Wewalka’s Bistro Style thin and crispy crusts, rolled into traditional round pies, you will enjoy a pizza experience seldom found outside of Italy.
- Family-Style Pizza Dough – Made with European olive oil, Wewalka Family Style pizza dough has a truly unique taste and texture. Slightly thicker than the Bistro Pizza dough, it provides a classic pizza crust that is ready to be paired with your favorite toppings. Sized to serve the whole family, no one will leave the table unhappy.
- All Wewalka doughs are made with the finest Premium European Ingredients. The proof is in the taste and ALSO the smell (look at me asking Claire Kellett to smell the aroma wafting from the package as we opened it! – photo below)
- Aside from this recipe, any recipe baked with Wewalka Dough, can and should be baked directly on the parchment paper that comes right in the package. Simply unroll the dough, which is easier thanks to the parchment paper and transfer the whole thing to a cookie sheet or baking pan. It helps the recipe bake more evenly and makes clean-up a breeze!
- Wewalka dough products are delicately rolled onto parchment paper and sealed in easy-to-open sleeves. You’ll never find this dough crammed up in cans that explode onto your countertop. And to maintain the perfect environment for Wewalka yeast dough products, they’ve added specialized valves to the packaging to ensure your croissants and pizza crusts always rise up and bake to perfection.
Portabella Mushroom and Brie Brunch Bites
I also want to reiterate that you can use any type of mushroom in this recipe, and any type of cheese. However, if you want the most delicious recipe you can get, you really must use Wewalka Puff Pastry dough. The flavors combined are unlike anything you’ve experienced!
Here’s a quick visual step by step for you.
Step 1. Unroll the Dough. It’s so easy with Wewalka since it’s rolled on the parchment paper. Doesn’t stick like other products.
Step 2: Slice your dough into squares. I made 20 with one sheet of Wewalka Puff Pastry dough. Place the squares into a mini muffin tin. You can use a regular muffin pan, but you will have to cut the squares larger, and it will eliminate the “Bites” as they will be much bigger.
Step 3: Fill those babies up with some deliciously sauteed mushrooms. I used butter and garlic for sauteeing, but if you want a different flavor, go with what you prefer.
Step 4: Top each bite with a slice of Brie cheese.
Step 5: Pop those babies in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10-14 minutes. You want the edges a beautiful golden color and the cheese to be completely melted.
Step 6: Consume your finished product and be awed and amazed at the great flavors that Wewalka Puff Pastry dough brings to this already amazing recipe!
You can serve these as is, by arranging them on a large platter, or add some color like I did on Great Day St. Louis by surrounding them with beautiful sprigs of Parsley! Top each one with finely chopped parsley or chopped green onion for even more great flavor!
You can find Wewalka dough at 77 Schnucks locations in with the refrigerator dough.