I love the Crazy Cooking Challenge – it’s a fun way to meet new food bloggers, make delicious recipes and share with others.
This month was Blueberry Muffins which is perfect for me, because I love muffins, and I especially love Blueberry Muffins.
I used the little Food Blog Recipe Search I have at the bottom of my page and typed in “blueberry muffins” and after skimming through a whole page of results, I found a whole bunch I wanted too try.
Yep, her recipe is that good. I only made minor tweaks and the first time I didn’t make either of the toppings. I did the second time and I prefer the lemon sugar one. VERY delicious.
It wasn’t until after I had already made them and got this blog post together that I realized she also participates in the Crazy Cooking Challenge which I figured out via the graphic for the challenge on her blog. I love it! I cannot wait to see what she does for this challenge since these Blueberry Muffins are titled The Best Ever Blueberry Muffins.
She wasn’t kidding either – they are the best ever, which is why I chose them!
Best Ever Blueberry Muffins
For the Muffins
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries, picked over
- 1 1/8 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water (I found this made it a little easier to mix in)
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Toppings
- 3 T white sugar
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 T melted butter
- 1/3 cup (21/3 ounces) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon
Directions for Muffins:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. (her recipes shows 425 and then mentions you might want to turn it down - we did it at 425 the first time, and 400 the second time - I am thinking about trying 375 next, because I think it really makes a difference)
- Prepare your muffins tins.
- In a saucepan on the stove, bring 1 cup of blueberries, the water (I used a little tiny bit more than she did), 2 teaspoons sugar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing the berries with your potato masher or fork several times and stiring frequently, until the berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced by about half. It took me a bit to get to this point and at first I thought I was doing it wrong. I was not. This will take about 6 minutes.Put it all in a bowl and allow it to cool until it is room temp.
- In your stand mixer or a medium bowl whisk together the remaining sugar (1⅛c) and the eggs. Slowly add the butter and the oil. Whisk until combined. Then add the buttermilk and the vanilla and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, the baking powder and the salt together. Using a spatula or large kitchen spoon add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time. Mix until combined - batter will still be very lumpy with a few spots of dry flour. Gently fold in the blueberries and stir just until they are moistened. You don't want to over mix.
- Using a measuring cup, large spoon or an ice cream cone or cookie scoop, divide the batter equally among prepared muffin cups (batter should completely fill cups and mound slightly).
- Spoon a teaspoon of cooked berry mixture into the center of each bit of batter. Using a fork (or a chopstick or skewer like she suggested), gently swirl the berries through the top.
- If you are using any of the toppings (directions below) sprinkle these on now.
- Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Combine the four ingredients listed until it is the size of peas and sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.
For Sugar: (my favorite)
- Stir together sugar and lemon zest in small bowl until combined; sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.
Here are my previous entries:
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- World’s Creamiest Mashed Potato Recipe
- Ultimate Fudge Recipe
- Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Ultimate Chocolate Cake
- Spaghetti (Red Sauce)
- and of course this one, is the 8th – Blueberry Muffins.