Ah sweet comfort foods. This time of year, as the temperatures drop and the leaves are changing, I love seeking comfort foods that warm the body and soul. This decadent Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake smothered in a sweet, red wine raspberry sauce didn’t just say comfort, it screamed it.
When I think of comfort foods, I immediately go to chocolate. Chocolate is probably my comfort food of choice, though I have plenty of other favorites too. And wine, wine certainly brings on the feeling of comfort. Whether it’s a Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon or a Gallo Family Pinot Grigio that warms you up, there is a wine to compliment any dish.
I enjoy spending time with family in the colder months as we all sit around the fire place, warming our bodies, enjoying each others company. I always have a glass of wine for the adults, to warm and comfort the soul too. When I am entertaining, I love having a variety of wines on hand that compliment the various dishes I make, and honestly, I can’t think of anything that pairs better with chocolate than red wine. Not only did I serve a glass of Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon with a warm slice of this decadent Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake, but I included it right in the recipe. Why not? Both the chocolate cake and the raspberry sauce were only made better and enhanced by the combination taste of blackberry and black currant, balanced by just a hint of oak from the Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon. This recipe got rave reviews and several requests for it to make an appearance again for the holidays. I think I will oblige.
Chocolate and red wine are a match made in heaven in my book, and my wonderful man couldn’t have agreed more. He rather enjoyed his red wine with a slice of this rich, decadent cake and deemed the match up, perfection.
It always makes me happy when I can come up with a recipe that he is this happy with.
Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce #SundaySupper
For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup light olive or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For between the Layers
- Red Raspberry Preserves
For the Ganache
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 12 ounces of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup (this makes the ganache shiny)
For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce
- 2 containers fresh raspberries
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon
For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake:
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into two prepared 8" round pans. Bake at 350 for about 25-28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For between the Layers:
- Once the cake is cooled completely, spread raspberry preserves on the top of one 8" round. Place the other 8" round on top.
For the Ganache:
- In a pan over medium heat, add the chocolate and cream and stir until melted and combined. Stir constantly. Add the corn syrup and mix until combined. Remove from heat. Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes (ganache will thicken as it cools and become easier to spread and stay neat). Spread ganache around entire cake.
For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce:
- Combine the raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan, mashing the raspberries a bit. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and add the lemon juice. Simmer for 3 minutes then add in the Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon. Continue to simmer for 1 minute.
- When ready to serve a slice of cake, spoon the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce onto the place. Set a slice of cake right into it and spoon more over the cake if desired.
This wonderful dessert was served after a delicious Seafood and Rice dish that was complimented further by a glass of Gallo Family Pino Grigio. A perfect pairing in my book, as it brings together the refreshing crisp flavors of fresh green apple, white peach and citrus, complimenting the seafood wonderfully.
So whether its a Gallo Family Pino Grigio or a Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon you seek, you simply can’t go wrong. But, why choose? Why not serve both? I promise you won’t be disappointed and your guests will certainly thank you.
To find a store near you, that carries Gallo Family Vineyards wines, check out the Where to Buy Tool right on their site. Also, here is a $1 off digital coupon for Gallo Family wines to help you get in the mood for some comfort foods!
Take a look at the wonderfully comforting dishes and wine pairings the Sunday Supper family is serving up today! There are just so many great recipes that are perfect for this time of year and for bringing comfort.
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). While you’re there, browse more great food/wine pairing recipes! Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for even more great ideas and updates.
Every day, more than 8 million seniors in the United States face the threat of hunger. Gallo Family Vineyards believe no one should go hungry, which is why they’ve partnered with the Meals On Wheels Association of America to fight hunger with the want you save those 187mL caps to help end hunger. For the 5th year, the invites Americans to send back their corks and capsules to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Every cork or capsule collected garners $1 for Meals on Wheels, and it’s easy to donate! Visit GalloFamily.com for more details.. But they need your help! They
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.