Simply a traditional Sweet Potato Casserole that we not only love serving at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but make throughout the year. It’s the ultimate comfort casserole.
We love traditional, classic Sweet Potato Casserole.
It’s really the ultimate comfort side dish. And it’s not just perfect for holidays. It can be enjoyed with any meal, anytime!
It goes great with beef, pork, chicken and seafood.
It’s quite versatile and you can change the seasonings and spices to fit your families taste.
Can Sweet Potato Casserole be frozen?
The freezer is my best friend, especially at holiday time. I’m all about preparing dishes ahead of time and if they can be frozen, all the better.
Sweet Potato Casserole can be frozen. At least this particular recipe can. I believe most can.
How I freeze my casserole, is to make the entire casserole minus the marshmallows and allow it to cool for about 20-30 minutes.
Then I cover the entire casserole (I use these Covered Baking Pans)
When ready to use, simply cover in tinfoil, bake at 350 degrees about 45-60.
Once the entire casserole is warm throughout, I add the marshmallows. Follow the remaining part of the original recipe . Serve as usual.
You can thaw the casserole overnight in the refrigerator and just bake for less time.
How do I store leftover Sweet Potato Casserole?
We rarely have leftovers of this casserole holidays. But when we make it throughout the year with other meals, we often do.
It’s easy to store leftovers and reheat them.
Simply spoon the leftovers into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to reheat the casserole, simply dish out a serving and microwave about 30-45 seconds. Serve immediately.
How long does leftover Sweet Potato Casserole last?
Sweet Potato Casserole can last 3 to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
After that, discard.
I know I’m craving it now, after writing this all up.
You will love this easy recipe and your family will come back for seconds!
Even those that don’t love sweet potatoes often love this particular casserole.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ Stick of butter softened
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- large marshmallows
- pecan pieces or walnut pieces optional
- Boil the sweet potatoes for about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Once very soft, allow them to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel cooled sweet potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into large slices for ease of mashing/blending.
- In a large bowl, place sliced sweet potatoes and ALL ingredients EXCEPT the marshmallows.
- Use an electric mixer to blend thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared 9×13 casserole dish and bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from oven.
- Cover the top of the casserole with the marshmallows.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees F. Allow to heat to 400.
- Return the sweet potato casserole to the oven and bake at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes or until marshmallows are golden and browning on top.
- Serve hot.