Thanks to Mezzetta for sponsoring today’s post!
It’s holiday time and no matter how hard we try to pretend it’s not happening… it totally is. With the holidays comes parties, gatherings and other events and maybe you’re even the hostess. One of the main components of any good party is FOOD. For me, as a food blogger, it’s usually the primary focus. This is one of my favorite go-to recipes for any holiday party or event. Often we top crackers with it, or even crostini and serve as an appetizer. It’s got a wonderful Mediterranean flavor make up and can be made with Turkey (as we did), Chicken, Tuna or Salmon. All taste amazing.
If you want to serve several varieties to your guests, you have a whole bunch to choose from while still only buying a few ingredients. It is a fantastic holiday recipe since Turkey is in abundance at this time of year, and it works GREAT with leftover turkey.
It all starts with some of my favorite Mezzetta products which take this yummy salad to a whole new level. The best part is using up the leftover Turkey while creating a unique and mouth watering flavor that is over the top delicious.
The wonderful Mediterranean flavor for this recipe comes from Mezzetta Kalamata Olives, Mezzetta Spanish Queen Olives, Mezzetta Roasted Bell Peppers and Mezzetta Mild Pepper Rings (because we like to add a little spice and it’s the perfect amount). We love garlic so we used a garlic mayonnaise we found and tossed in a smidge more garlic. But that’s the beauty of a recipe like this, because if you love something, add more of it. If you don’t love something, use less. Whatever you decide to do it’s amazing!
We made a huge batch for a party we had two weekends ago. We were lucky enough to wind up with just enough extra for sandwiches the next day. We chose a Garlic and Herb Ciabatta roll to serve on, and omg! Just incredible. I am so glad we had the small amount of leftovers because it added to this wonderful recipe. This past weekend, we enjoyed holiday time with family and we each had to bring a dish. I layered this wonderful Mediterranean Turkey Salad on sliced pieces of the Ciabatta buns like you would with Crostini. It was a fabulous appetizer and they were gobbled up SO fast with several requests for me to bring it again at Christmas.
Mediterranean Turkey Salad
- 2 cups shredded or chopped turkey or chicken, tuna or salmon
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Mezzetta Roasted Red Pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced Mezzetta Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 cup sliced Mezzetta Spanish Queen Olives
- 1/4 cup chopped Mezzetta Mild Pepper Rings if desired for spice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and/or pepper
- With your fingers or a fork, shred the turkey or chop into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
- Chop and slice all the veggies and olives and throw them into the bowl with the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt/pepper and minced garlic.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the chopped and sliced veggies.
- Chill for at least 4 hours, though the longer the more the flavors all seem to marry together, so overnight is ideal.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with sliced tomatoes or with sandwich rolls, tortillas or artisan buns.