Moist, flavorful Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes with Key Lime Buttercream Frosting are such a fun way to enjoy time with your girlfriends, or the perfect treat to serve at a backyard BBQ or pool party!
I spend so much time making treats for my kids and their friends. I don’t mind, actually.
I love baking and I enjoy the sounds I hear when someone loves what I made and is “Mmming” and “Aaahhhing” when they are tasting something delicious.
But sometimes I want something for me. Or for me and my friends. You know, a mom treat.
I can’t get enough of the great flavor of a good Margarita.
Sitting around with a group of girlfriends and sipping margarita’s is relaxing and we usually have loads of laughter and hilarious moments.
I love to experiment with the flavors of the margaritas I serve too.
However, face it, they are all delicious – I am not really all that picky about flavor. A margarita, is a margarita.
Unless it’s a cupcake.
How about a Key Lime Margarita Cupcake? Why not? Such a fun treat, and they look so absolutely adorable!
I recently whipped up a few batches of adult cupcakes if you will. These delicious Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes were the first step, but then I had a little fun and went further with these Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes I made.
I have some mango margarita cupcakes coming soon too, that aren’t using a bottle mix. Watch for those.
But back to the Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes.
They are very subtle and refreshing.
The lime flavor is not over powering at all, and complimented our girls night of margarita’s quite well.
They were a huge hit and incredibly easy to make in advance.
Of course, Sandra Lee Cocktail Time Key Lime Margarita Mix had a lot to do with the delicious flavor of these little gems.
They infused a ton of flavor into these cupcakes and made them delicious, yet subtle and enjoyable.
If you don’t have Sandra Lee Cocktail Time, you can certainly use an alternative and it should work the same, though I cannot verify flavor.
Want to make your own Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes?
Please pin this for later:
Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes with Key Lime Margarita Buttercream Frosting
Key Lime Margarita Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 cup of Sandra Lee Cocktail Time Key Lime Margarita
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
For the frosting:
- 1 13.2 oz packet Pillsbury Purely Simple Buttercream Frosting Mix
- 1 stick 1/2 cup softened butter
- ¼ cup Sandra Lee Cocktail Time Key Lime Margarita
- Wilton icing Color – Leaf Green
- Key Limes for Zest and Decorations
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, key lime margarita, vegetable oil and eggs on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for two minutes or until well blended.
- Using an ice scream scoop (for consistant measurement), drop scoopfuls of batter into each cupcake liner.
- Bake immediately at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, combine the forsting mix and butter. Add the Sandra Lee Cocktail Time Key Lime Margarita. Mix on low speed, scraping bowl often.
- Using a toothpick, dip just the tip into the Wilton Icing color and then dip the toothpick into the icing and remove.
- Blend again. I only needed the tiniest amoutn of coloring to get the color I wanted, but you can add more if you would like a more vibrant color.
- Choose tip, fill piping bag with icing. Pipe on icing.
- Garnish with key lime zest and a lime wedge.
- Eat and Enjoy!