An all beef, grilled hot dog smothered in creamy, rich macaroni and cheese topped with bacon and green onions. These Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ are sure to be a hit!
I am so happy to be joining in on our #SundaySupper theme this week. Summer BBQ! I almost didn’t, but not because I didn’t want to, but because I wasn’t sure how I’d ever get it all done.
You see, as you’re reading this, I am probably currently completely wrapped up in my daughter Brielle’s return home.
You see, she’s been gone for the past 3 weeks at Truman State University taking advantage of a fun college experience.
I’ve missed her like crazy and as I’m writing this, there are only four short little days until I see her.
I am so excited to make the drive to get her, spend some fun time with my family in a hotel with an indoor pool, and see all the awesome sign language my daughter spent the past 3 weeks learning.
So because of all my other obligations, and our travel arrangements, I didn’t think I’d have time to do anything.
But my teens had other ideas.
Story Behind the Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ
The first time someone explained to me what a Ditch Dog was, I couldn’t imagine it.
“Macaroni and Cheese smothering a hot dog to death.” was how it was explained.
Frankly, it sounded weird. Not necessarily gross, just weird.
That all changed the other day when I actually saw one with my own eyes. I was innocently scrolling through my instagram feed and my sweet friend Nancy had just posted an instagram of a Ditch Dog she had eaten that day.
It looked goooood. It called my name. I thought about it for a few days afterward.
I showed it to my teenagers and that was when it was set in stone. We were making it.
I mean, afterall – it’s like the perfect teen food. Ya know?
We don’t eat hot dogs regularly here at all, and we’re quite picky about our hot dogs.
They have to be 100% beef. 100%. Except for my hubby who enjoys turkey dogs.
And we had to have made from scratch macaroni and cheese, which was not a problem since we make it a lot. You know… teens… comfort food…. yeah.
We didn’t go for anything special with the bacon, just regular old yummy bacon.
And the green onions were fresh from our garden, which I have to tell you I am simply loving. Snip, snip. Fresh herbs and veggies anytime we want!
So, before you turn your nose at something you’ve never had, at least have a taste (or see what it looks like first) because we actually really enjoyed these. The teens were a bit fanatic about them.
Don’t forget to check out the other delicious recipes today! Lots of great BBQ recipes to eat in style!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler: