An all beef, grilled hot dog smothered in creamy, rich macaroni and cheese topped with bacon and green onions. These Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ are sure to be a hit!
I am so happy to be joining in on our theme this week. Summer BBQ! I almost didn’t, but not because I didn’t want to, but because I wasn’t sure how I’d ever get it all done.
You see, as you’re reading this, I am probably currently completely wrapped up in my daughter Brielle’s return home.
You see, she’s been gone for the past 3 weeks at Truman State University taking advantage of a fun college experience.
I’ve missed her like crazy and as I’m writing this, there are only four short little days until I see her.
I am so excited to make the drive to get her, spend some fun time with my family in a hotel with an indoor pool, and see all the awesome sign language my daughter spent the past 3 weeks learning.
So because of all my other obligations, and our travel arrangements, I didn’t think I’d have time to do anything.
But my teens had other ideas.
Story Behind the Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ
The first time someone explained to me what a Ditch Dog was, I couldn’t imagine it.
“Macaroni and Cheese smothering a hot dog to death.” was how it was explained.
Frankly, it sounded weird. Not necessarily gross, just weird.
That all changed the other day when I actually saw one with my own eyes. I was innocently scrolling through my instagram feed and my sweet friend Nancy had just posted an instagram of a Ditch Dog she had eaten that day.
It looked goooood. It called my name. I thought about it for a few days afterward.
I showed it to my teenagers and that was when it was set in stone. We were making it.
I mean, afterall – it’s like the perfect teen food. Ya know?
We don’t eat hot dogs regularly here at all, and we’re quite picky about our hot dogs.
They have to be 100% beef. 100%. Except for my hubby who enjoys turkey dogs.
And we had to have made from scratch macaroni and cheese, which was not a problem since we make it a lot. You know… teens… comfort food…. yeah.
We didn’t go for anything special with the bacon, just regular old yummy bacon.
And the green onions were fresh from our garden, which I have to tell you I am simply loving. Snip, snip. Fresh herbs and veggies anytime we want!
So, before you turn your nose at something you’ve never had, at least have a taste (or see what it looks like first) because we actually really enjoyed these. The teens were a bit fanatic about them.
Don’t forget to check out the other delicious recipes today! Lots of great BBQ recipes to eat in style!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
In the Cooler:
Recipe for Ditch Dogs
Ditch Dogs for a Summer BBQ
- 8 hot dogs grilled
- 8 hot dog buns toasted or grilled – we used garlic butter and then toasted them
- Macaroni and Cheese – we use this recipe it’s one of our favorites and is perfect for this recipe
- green onions thinly chopped
- 1 pkg. of cooked bacon crumbled or sliced
Assembling Your Ditch Dog
- Once everything is ready, lay your toasted/grilled bun flat and place the hot dog on top.
- Spoon the macaroni and cheese over the top. Use as little or as much as you like. Just remember, you have to close it and eat it, so not too much.
- Sprinkle bacon and green onions over the top and serve.