Perfect Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes, filled with chocolate chunks and topped with a dark chocolate buttercream frosting, crushed peppermint candies and a candy cane!
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are easy to make, incredibly soft, delicate, and wonderfully moist.
Hello delicious cupcakes. You are so incredibly beautiful.
Are you looking for a cupcake perfect for the holidays?
I am pretty sure you have probably found it in this classic Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Combo.
Honestly, this cupcake is divine. That rich dark chocolate with that incredible peppermint flavor. Oh so incredibly good.
For the first day of Choctoberfest, I brought one of our favorite cupcake recipes. Because, who doesn’t love cupcakes?
You really cannot go wrong with a Chocolate Peppermint Combo. These remind me of those delicious Peppermint Patties.
SO good! They are so festive and perfect for the holidays coming up.
We’ve made these so many times, they are perfect at the holidays, but they can be just as delicious any time of year!
Don’t worry about making them in the middle of July. If you want a chocolate peppermint cupcake in July, you should have one.
It’s just that simple.
Which chocolate is better for chocolate peppermint cupcakes?
We’ve tried them both with milk chocolate and dark chocolate. I really believe this is a preference thing.
We personally prefer the dark chocolate. But it’s okay to enjoy milk chocolate as well.
If you want regular milk chocolate, simply use regular cocoa powder. We used dark cocoa powder though, and loved the results.
It’s all up to you. These are your cupcakes to do how you want.
Don’t worry though, they still taste great. Milk or dark. We just prefer the Dark Chocolate.
With choctoberfest all week long, you are going to wind up with dozens up on dozens of delicious chocolate recipes to make and share.
There’s something for everyone with all of these great recipes.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Andes Chocolate Mint Pancakes
- Chocolate Irish Cream Cupcakes
- Chocolate Stuffed Peppermint Cookies (external link)
Recipe for Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
For Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes:
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup crushed peppermint candies
- candy canes for garnish
For Dark Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
For Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, dark cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the 2 eggs one at a time, beating well in between. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Add the flour mixture a little a time to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk; beat well.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For Dark Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat the butter on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, dark cocoa powder, heavy cream, salt, and peppermint extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until incorporated.
- Continue beating for about 2 minutes on high speed or until smooth and creamy
Putting it all together:
- When cupcakes are cool, frost with Dark Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting. Crush some peppermint candies or candy canes and sprinkle on top. Add a candy cane for garnish.