This is a quick and easy slow cooker crockpot yogurt recipe. Have you ever made homemade yogurt? Tastes amazing and much healthier than the store bought counterparts.
You CAN make yogurt at home and you can do it just as easy in your crockpot! Check out this awesome recipe.
We’ve done it a few times and were pleasantly satisfied with the results.
There is absolutely nothing better than homemade yogurt and it is so ridiculously easy and tastes so smooth and wonderful.
You can just keep doing it again and again.
What do I need to make yogurt?
You need two basic ingredients to make the actual yogurt.
Plain store bought Yogurt
You will need a ½ gallon of milk, and about a cup of plain yogurt to use as a starter.
Can I change the consistency of homemade yogurt?
If the yogurt isn’t as thick as you would like it to be, line a fine mesh strainer or colander with a clean flour sack cloth or double cheesecloth. Set it over the bowl.
Pour your yogurt in and set it in the refrigerator for about an hour. This process causes the whey to separate thickening the yogurt.
Don’t dispose of the whey that drains into the bowl, though. You can use it for cooking or soaking foods to be cooked like beans or whole grains.
I don’t like plain yogurt, how can I make it better?
It’s easy to flavor your yogurt and make it taste better for eating. Drain it to your desired consistency and then add honey or another sweetener, and pureed or chopped fruit.
Spices, extracts and seasonings go perfectly as well but start with just a pinch or two, and add until you’re satisfied.
The plain yogurt can be used in any recipe calling for plain yogurt, or even sour cream.
Is there anything else I can do with the crockpot yogurt?
Yes! If you drain the yogurt for several hours, it’s going to get thicker and thicker and becomes yogurt cheese.
This is similar consistency to cream cheese. It can be used in place of cream cheese in dips, spreads or even on bread or toast.
If you’d like more crockpot or slow cooker recipes, you can get more here.
More great Crockpot Recipes
Recipe for Crockpot Yogurt
- 8 cups Whole Milk pasteurized is ok but not ultra-pasteurized
- ½ cup of plain store bought yogurt to use as a starter
- Put the milk in your crock pot and set on low. Allow to cook on low for 2.5 hours. don’t remove the lid during cooking.
- After 2.5 hours, turn the crock pot off and allow to sit for 3 hours (don’t open it or stir the milk, just leave it alone for 3 hours).
- After the three hours has passed, remove the lid and stir in the yogurt with a wire whisk. Replace the lid and wrap the crock pot in a heavy bath towel.
- Allow to sit overnight. In the morning you will have yogurt.